Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	7237727

I started last July:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp0525r.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	7237728

I bought the e30v8 oilpan and have the smaller oil filter. Does anyone know the proper oil capacity of this combo? I had to modify the dipstick so not sure I trust it.

That's a good question and one I don't have an answer to. We modified a front sump pan to fit and still use the block mounted dipstick (not on the timing cover). I put in enough for it to read at the low mark on the dipstick. I figured that means the front sump is completely full and the oil's up in the rear flat part of the pan. You don't want it so high the crank is hitting it. That said I run 7 qts in my car. I figured about 4.5 for the pan, 1.5 for the oil cooler, lines, and remote filter, and another one to replace what's flowing around the engine while it's running. Oil starvation is a much bigger concer for me than the crank hitting the oil on occasion.

When I pull the engine soon I'm going to take the pan off and mark the dipstick properly.
    sigpic

Comment

I run 4qts to stay under the crankshaft. The way the oil pan is shaped i decided not to weld baffles in. If I could have it my way, I would kick the sides out to increase capacity. I'm also using a windage tray to keep oil away from the crank

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by omarquez510; 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by omarquez510 View Post
        I run 4qts to stay under the crankshaft. The way the oil pan is shaped i decided not to weld baffles in. If I could have it my way, I would kick the sides out to increase capacity. I'm also using a windage tray to keep oil away from the crank
        Thanks, I tried 4.2 quarts and that seems to work. I still have the dipstick in it's original place in the block, but cut down to fit the new pan. 4.2 quarts comes to the "full" line on the cut down dipstick.

Comment

Mine was 4 qrts But it was cut more because it sat against the firewall and lower on the subframe Should be fine with 4.2-4.5. Make sure you watch the oil pressure gauge. I knew i was about .5-.75 qrt low when pressure would drop alittle at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by eurotrash View Post
            I knew i was about .5-.75 qrt low when pressure would drop alittle at idle.
            That doesn't really make sense. Pressure should drop at idle once warmed up. I'm about 55 psi cold, 25 hot at idle. Also at idle the oil pump is being driven slowly. Did putting oil in raise the pressure?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eurotrash View Post
              Mine was 4 qrts But it was cut more because it sat against the firewall and lower on the subframe Should be fine with 4.2-4.5. Make sure you watch the oil pressure gauge. I knew i was about .5-.75 qrt low when pressure would drop alittle at idle.

Thanks, I will keep an eye on my gauge. 4 quarts doesn't seem like much oil. Has anyone tried adding the e30 oil cooler to the 5.0 oiling system? Seems like it would add oil capacity and help with cooling.

Comment

It would drop down to about 12-15psi when warm. Add a half qrt and it would go up to 25-30 at idle.

Comment

Lol come on bros, a milodon hphf pump and driveshaft isn't that expensive (less than $100) and totally worth it - one thing you can't fuck around with is the oiling system.

45psi hot idle, 60ish at 2k rpms. This is with 5w30... I think. At least I think that's what I put in there anyway. Max is 10w30.

Also, the e30v8 pan is a modded 1970's mustang pan:

These things call for five quarts. There really isn't that much material cut off from the pan so I still run five quarts. I've got a big oil filter too, never had any drops in pressure.

Besides, having the crank counterweights dip in oil a little bit isn't the biggest deal in the world. Keeping the oil level low is an oldschool drag racing trick to pick up a few horsepower (as there is less drag on the crank) but having the crank hit oil isn't going to hurt anything. IMO it's not worth starving over.
                  Last edited by jalopi; 03-11-2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X