No announcement yet.

1988 325is swap attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, how have I never seen this thread before...

In any case, good job, you did a lot of super legit things I wish I had done. Thanks for the slave cylinder part number, sure beats the $60 speedway slave. I assume it moves enough fluid to disengage the clutch properly?

I'll take a few pictures of the power steering bracket I made for an e36 pump, works pretty good. My brakes are amazing now... and by amazing I mean they're like stock again. Did e46 brakes on both axles. Stock master.

Also, you're gonna want a bigger radiator. I suggest a e36 mishi one. Your car will run hot in 70+ degree weather.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
      Wow, how have I never seen this thread before...

In any case, good job, you did a lot of super legit things I wish I had done. Thanks for the slave cylinder part number, sure beats the $60 speedway slave. I assume it moves enough fluid to disengage the clutch properly?

I'll take a few pictures of the power steering bracket I made for an e36 pump, works pretty good. My brakes are amazing now... and by amazing I mean they're like stock again. Did e46 brakes on both axles. Stock master.

Also, you're gonna want a bigger radiator. I suggest a e36 mishi one. Your car will run hot in 70+ degree weather.
      Some pictures of your PS bracket would be great! And I will check out the e46 brakes - are you using the stock master unboosted?

Also, the clutch slave I am using is a 3/4" bore and moves more than enough to fully disengage the stock mustang clutch. And I bet your right about the radiator, but my cheap self hopes I can get by. Parts in Canada are stupid expensive.

Comment

Shipping + handling + import fees = crazy prices :(

Comment

Jeez, just took a look at what it would cost to ship something worth $250 to Canada... shit is goddamn expensive. Online calculator estimated $50. This was hoping that the ebay 'free shipping' applied to Canada. Sorry broooosssss

Anyway, considering you can weld (at least it looks that way anyway) the PS bracket shouldn't be too hard to make. As long as you've got a center punch, drill press and the dimensions it's pretty damn easy actually. I'll take some pictures and measurements when I'm out in the garage tomorrow.

The stock radiator will probably be fine unless you drive in rush hour in 80* weather frequently. Mine would keep my car running around 180*F as long as I was just put-putting around. Thing is though, people don't swap v8s into their cars to put-putt :) The only track event I went to with the stock radiator kind of sucked. After about 2-3 consecutive runs I'd have to take a 10-15 minute break (this was in 60ish degree weather) due to temps spiking up to 220-230*F. I had a z3 mishi radiator in when I went to the track last March. Temps never went past 190*F. Only times I had to stop was to take a piss.

I am using the stock master unboosted. For what it's worth you might want to hit up Lee from Massive for a BBK. Depends on what route you want to take with the car, but it's essentially the same price as a e46 brake swap, except with Massive you're only doing the brakes on one axle for that price. Then you have to figure in another $1k for wheels & tires for the 5lug swap (though I wanted 17s for their cheap prices anyway)

Comment

You could also consider the rx7 bbk conversion, if you can find a set of calipers the swap is fairly inexpensive.

Comment

Sorry about the delay on the pictures:

Basically, if you use 1/4" plate for everything, the "center" piece should be 72mm long.

Sorry, the pictures aren't particularly great. No real good angles to go off of here. Hopefully though, this gives you a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Comment

Thanks, Jalopi, for all the awesome pics, they help a lot. I am going back to power steering this winter when the car comes off the road.

As far as brakes, I am starting with a 5/8" M/C as per E30_302's advice. Once I get one and install it I'll report on it. I'm actually starting to like the feel of the unboosted brakes but I still think they are too weak.

Jalopi, you recommended the e36 rad - I am using the 92 mustang accessories so my water pump pulley is only 1/2" from my e30 rad. Do you know if the e36 rad is the same thickness as my e30 rad? I got no room to spare, but need to upgrade my system.

Just got back from a quick drive in it, and I like it better all the time.

Comment

Sit rep: the 5/8" MC is a little too small for the track, not quite firm enough to give a good feel. Would be great on the street. I'll try a 3/4" next.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30_302 View Post
                    Sit rep: the 5/8" MC is a little too small for the track, not quite firm enough to give a good feel. Would be great on the street. I'll try a 3/4" next.
                    Thanks for the update. I am going to try the 5/8 first, as I won't be tracking my car. I haven't done it yet because the weather is too nice now. I want to drive it, not work on it, might have to wait for winter.

As far as driving it, turns out I didn't leave enough clearance between my customized header and steering shaft, because on tight right turns I can feel the shaft binding. It feels normal turning left, so I assume the motor is shifting enough to have the header touch the steering shaft. I may have to look at the Flaming River compact u-joints if I can't create more clearance.

Comment

If you haven't bought it yet I'll sell you mine cheap.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X