Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you have gone boosterless? Pros? Cons? dd

Like the title says..
    i dont know which one to go with. The car will just be a cruiser since its a vert.. not always a dd..
    Any input would be greatly appreciated
    sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
    1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
    1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
    1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
    (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
    1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
    2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
    2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

:popcorn:
    NASA
    BMWCCA member
    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
    1997 M3 sedan
    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Wondered the same except my car will see track time on the occasion

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

My racecar is boosterless. Best mod I've done for a track car. It takes a good amount of effort to brake hard, but you can get more aggressive with the pads without worrying about locking up. I pretty much stand on the brakes.

With a proper master cylinder setup though it should still be streetable.

Comment

I ran mine boosterless with stock brakes and stock master for a while, just modified the pedal ratio. I used Massive's kit. With the stock brakes it stopped but required a lot of effort and wasn't ideal for street driving and panic stop situations. I recently upgraded the front brakes to Ireland's 310mm Wilwood kit though and it made a huge difference. Less pedal effort, great bite. No longer feeling like I need to go hydroboost.

Comment

I have a set of wilwood 5/8 MC's coming with the Wilwood pedal set suggested by Garagistic. I will let you know soon how well it matches up. I chose this route because of my extremely limited fab experience.

Comment

i don't know why anyone would purposely remove their power brakes if they didn't need to... hell, it's one of the reasons I'm switching to a bigger chassis (so I can have my cake [v8] and eat it too[working brakes])

i had the massive kit with a 5/8 master, 330i brakes on all 4 corners, hawk hps pads. before i put the bigger brakes on my car would barely stop. pretty much had to do a one legged squat on the pedal to get it to stop. the bbk setup basically put me back to stock feeling brakes

seriously man, it takes an additional couple grand in BBK stuff (all 4 corners) just to get back to the level of braking force that you had with the booster... only do it if you can't keep the booster, you will hate life.

Comment

My e30 5.0 swap has the Massive booster delete, stock brakes and a 5/8" m/c and the brakes require way too much leg power to emergency brake. It may be ok on the track but it's not appropriate for street.

Comment

Originally posted by Stvstr View Post
                  My e30 5.0 swap has the Massive booster delete, stock brakes and a 5/8" m/c and the brakes require way too much leg power to emergency brake. It may be ok on the track but it's not appropriate for street.
                  100% agreed. Its fine for just dd but emergency braking is very sketchy!
                  Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
                  Cab
                  billac: 92 Lagunengrün cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 Lagunengrün IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
                  : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
                  88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris916 View Post
                    My racecar is boosterless. Best mod I've done for a track car. It takes a good amount of effort to brake hard, but you can get more aggressive with the pads without worrying about locking up. I pretty much stand on the brakes.

With a proper master cylinder setup though it should still be streetable.
                    What is your brake setup..big brakes? What pads? Thanks. Building a m60 e30 race car only also
                    NASA
                    BMWCCA member
                    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                    1997 M3 sedan
                    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

I run boosterless with M coupe brakes front/ rear 5/8ths master cylinders with a slight rear bias. I run a performance street pad (maybe axxis ultimates?... its been a while)Setup has worked really great and has plenty of stopping power.

Comment

Expensive but man it feels like factory. This is what I got. factory everything else.

Comment

I run a Wilwood pedalbox with dual 5/8 masters running stock brakes with my M62 swap. I also used the Garagistic mount. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a hydroboost setup. The brake pedal wasn't adjusted correctly on the pedal box before I installed it (my fault) and it's a real bitch to take it out again.

If it were adjusted properly and I had bigger brakes or even better stock sized brakes, it really wouldn't be that bad. Emergency stopping gets hairy (ask me how I know) but you can adjust your driving style to avoid those situations.

Comment

Peddle is a brick but once i got used to it i actually liked it more. Prob a bit much for dd stop and go traffic tho.

Comment

Working...
                            X