LS7 swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS7 swap.

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and had a few questions. I'm doing an ls7 swap in my e30 cab. I just ordered the sikky kit with 1 7/8 headers but i don't if the ls2 ports that the kit was meant for are the same as the ls7 exhaust ports. I also do not know with which t56 style shift linkage go with. Is it the gto length or camaro length?

Any help would be appreciated.

The ports are all the same so I wouldn't worry about the header stuff. The original kit was mocked up with an LS7 in an E30 M3 anyway so I don't think you have to worry about that. I'm fairly sure all T56's will line up the same in the tunnel. Here's a shot of my shifter area

I've got an MGW shifter that sets things forward. Works great. I don't think it's gto/camaro specific. But if you're hell bent on going factory, I'm 90% sure it's camaro style as the GTO one sits farther back.

Comment

Go with the camero shifter for sure.

The LS7 heads have the same bolt pattern and flange angle. The ports have a larger D-port configuration , but the GM round port truck gaskets will clear nicely if the headers are 1 3/4" and still clear (but are very close) on 1 7/8" pipes.

Comment

Have you guys strengthened your diff? I have reinforced the sub frame and installed e30 m3 hubs and half shafts. I went 5bolt all round.

Comment

I run solid aluminum mounts. Beat the shit out of mine (drifting). No issues so far.

Comment

Do you think the car can be launched at the track for 1/ 4 mile passes?

Comment

I think it would hold. I think the axles wouldn't lol.

Comment

For the shifter I didn't like where it sat or how short it was, so I just cut the mount off of the camaro shifter and welded it to a piece of rod where I wanted it, and then put my knob on that. I made mine tall enough so that the top of the knob sits almost level with the center of the steering wheel. Yes I realize my throws are longer, I wanted a longer throw for track use anyway, easier to look and see where the thing is. As for drag racing, you will likely snap axles with an ls7/sticky tires when launching hard.

Also, what are you doing to the chassis to strengthen it? What do you plan to use the car for?

Comment

Its an m3 convertible replica. Its more of a cruising car but I would love to have a go at it at the drag strip. I only bought it because it has original m3 fenders and bumpers. When I started the restoration it had a m30b35 in it and since my family has a performance vette shop we found an ls7 for it. So to answer the question its going to be a street car with attitude. The suspension is all e30 m3 but Ive added bilstien sport shocks, h and r springs, whiteline sway bars, urethane bushings, e46 purple rack, strut brace, and garagistic sub frame reinforcement. When I complete the swap and get it on the road, I will assess how much more I need to do, to keep it from twisting from all the torque.

Comment

It has e30 M3 axles and a 411 gear.

Comment

Okay, well I can say that with the 4:10 diff, your gear ratios will be fine in terms of speed (my car cruised at like 1800rpm @ 120km/h ish at the track when i tested 6th). The only issue I see you having will be traction with that diff, and I'm not sure if any other ratio will help you out. If you go with a sticky tire, you will likely snap axles. Also, to run the car anywhere it will probably have to be caged. I don't think that cayuga will let you run without a roll bar at minimum.

Suspension wise, I am running 650lb springs in the rear of mine and it will tuck the tire up into the wheel arch and rub until I rolled my fenders. I am going to assume you will need something stiffer than this, which will start to suck for the street use, especially Toronto's roads.

Comment

Cayuga lets you run without a cage unless your in the10second range. We rent the track for the shops customers. Im thinking of dropping the diff down but will try it with what i have first.

Comment

The car has m3 quarters and we are rolling them in as we speak. I have a 245 tire on it now. Dont know how much bigger i can go.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimateracing335i View Post
                            Its an m3 convertible replica. Its more of a cruising car but I would love to have a go at it at the drag strip. I only bought it because it has original m3 fenders and bumpers. When I started the restoration it had a m30b35 in it and since my family has a performance vette shop we found an ls7 for it. So to answer the question its going to be a street car with attitude. The suspension is all e30 m3 but Ive added bilstien sport shocks, h and r springs, whiteline sway bars, urethane bushings, e46 purple rack, strut brace, and garagistic sub frame reinforcement. When I complete the swap and get it on the road, I will assess how much more I need to do, to keep it from twisting from all the torque.
                            Hi, just curious did you buy your cabrio from a Guy in Montreal, Quebec?
                            Denny

Blogs:
                            http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                            http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                            http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Yes

Comment

Working...
                              X