No announcement yet.

'89 316i E30 LS1 Swap Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap is a relative term. If you penny pinch, you can do the swap for super cheap. Truck motor, fab parts, etc. But a good base LS motor with almost no fuss isn't cheap at all.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
      Cheap is a relative term. If you penny pinch, you can do the swap for super cheap. Truck motor, fab parts, etc. But a good base LS motor with almost no fuss isn't cheap at all.

I don't even call the truck motors an LS
      e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Brah, cool kids start with an iron truck block and build from there.

Comment

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

LOL
            I would've gone with a 5.3 if it was actually cheaper. I picked up the cutty's 2003 LS1, the 4L65E, full accessories and a 0411 PCM for about $550 total, while a bare bone Gen III 5.3 long block is about $1000 if you're lucky.
            Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
              They technically fit. However to fish the driver's side in between the engine and frame was probably the most difficult part of this swap. Passenger side slides in no problem whatsoever. Drivers side I had to

Massage the shock tower support
              Remove valve coils, valve cover and plugs
              Loosen engine mounts and pull/tilt engine towards passenger side.

They barely squeezed in with a lot of swearing, hammering and twisting.

The collectors will need to be cut/shortened if you actually wanna drive this thing on a road. They are too long and extend right towards the ground.
              Did you communicate this problem (collector being to long) with Sikky?

I ask because i had the same issue and they sent me 4 sets of headers before i finally gave up and modified a set. Sikky acted surprised and as if i was the only one to ever pitch a fit over fitment or lack there of.
              /// E92 335i Msport FBO + Meth /// E70 X5 4.8i /// E30 325is LSX Swapped /// E30 325ix ///

Comment

I run a 5.3 and willing to bet it will out perform yours. I mean that in a friendly, competitive way of course..:)
                /// E92 335i Msport FBO + Meth /// E70 X5 4.8i /// E30 325is LSX Swapped /// E30 325ix ///

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
                  I don't even call the truck motors an LS
                  Ouch, that cuts deep lol :nice:
                  My Garage
                  09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                  09 E92 335i Msport
                  09 E70 X5 4.8
                  88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
                  87 325i m50 swap
                  87 325es

Comment

Originally posted by E30LSX View Post
                    Did you communicate this problem (collector being to long) with Sikky?

I ask because i had the same issue and they sent me 4 sets of headers before i finally gave up and modified a set. Sikky acted surprised and as if i was the only one to ever pitch a fit over fitment or lack there of.
                    Nope never spoke with them after I placed my order. Wouldn't have helped much as I'm across the pond and shipping them back would be a hassle to say the least.

Comment

My headers are the basic kind. I think they modified it after they used my car as a prototype. They went from the regular flange to v band. I think that's where the length came from.

Comment

My headers are the basic kind. I think they modified it after they used my car as a prototype. They went from the regular flange to v band. I think that's where the length came from.
                        The final design did change to incorporate a v-band flange, but the collector sticks out for no reason IMO. The primaries merge right where they meet so I don't really see the reason for that additional 6-7" inches of pipe.

Comment

Nope never spoke with them after I placed my order. Wouldn't have helped much as I'm across the pond and shipping them back would be a hassle to say the least.
                          The final design did change to incorporate a v-band flange, but the collector sticks out for no reason IMO. The primaries merge right where they meet so I don't really see the reason for that additional 6-7" inches of pipe.

Mine are also vband. I called and pitched a fit... They tried to help but sent 4 sets that did not work. I was refunded for the headers after i had to modify them. I'm not complaining because they handled the situation however, when spending good money on "quality" parts, this shouldn't be a issue.
                          Attached Files
                          My Garage
                          09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                          09 E92 335i Msport
                          09 E70 X5 4.8
                          88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
                          87 325i m50 swap
                          87 325es

Comment

Apologies, i do not know why it posted a link and not a open file...
                            My Garage
                            09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                            09 E92 335i Msport
                            09 E70 X5 4.8
                            87 325i m50 swap
                            87 325es

Comment

Yup that's pretty much what the exhaust shop did.

Comment

sub'd

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                                HSAX Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X