No announcement yet.

LS1 rear diff dual ear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make one? If you're putting that much power down, you should be using solid mounts anyway. I've put 500whp through my all aluminum mounted single ear without issue and will continue to do so until it blows up.

Comment

If i can fab and weld, i wouldnt have bought a 3K swap kit :)
      Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

I would have. That sikky stuff is wayyyyyy nicer than any shit I could put together lol.

And you can buy that second ear mount for Garrett... the guy who posted it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by apiazza2010 View Post
          The subframe mounts are brand new, Solid Condor mounts, the diff bushing was shot. I now replaced it and will be doing second mount today.
          Hopefully it will fix some of the issues I have been having
          Does an LSD behave like an open diff when it's shot? As in if i'm burning one tire much more than the other, does that mean my diff clutches are toasted?
          See if your LEFT (usa driver side) rear tire is bald. This is common on high miles E36 M3's - the LSD dies and the left rear tire gets all the torque is = bald because its always spinning.

When the factory BMW LSD unit wears out it becomes an open diff; you can do doughnuts clock wise with an Open diff BMW or a dead LSD bmw. You wont be able to do counter clockwise doughnuts with a bmw open or dead LSD.

Why is the car able to do doughnuts clockwise with an open?

1. BMW has close to perfect 50%/50% weight balance
          2. the LEFT (usa drivers side) of the differential is favored; the unit has the ring gear on that side and the driveline is also asymmetrically installed in the chassis
          3. clockwise doughnuts allow the left wheel to be on the outside and drive the car in a circle, counter clockwise puts the left wheel inside and just spinning (car wont rotate)

Miata's and RX7's can also do clockwise doughnuts only with open diffs. (due to same reasons 1/2/3 above)

if you want to solve this problem (LSX engine+ stock e30 diff) the solution is built LSD unit and diff+ garret TVS mount for ear #2; otherwise things will wear very very quickly.
          Last edited by Wanganstyle; 02-19-2015, 08:38 AM.
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Thanks WanganStyle, Garret and everyone else.
            I am rebuilding the LSD unit as per the Bmw TIS and, since I did my Ls1 swap using Garret's kit I am also using his rear differential mount (which fits perfectly!)

I had to redo the two metal pieces that attached to the body as the were not long enough, but thats probably because my diff is lowered for clearance for the driveshaft joint.

WanganSyle, Spot On!!, I always wondered why my left wheel was burning out the whole time, now I know
            LS1 91 325i - BC Coils, e46 m3 brakes,style 32 17x9, Red Plastidip, H/C/I

Comment

Working...
            X