Rear End LSx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear End LSx

Just bought a 89 325i and am a complete NEWB to BMW's in general, but not to LSx's.

Car is getting a LM7 (5.3) and a 4l80e Auto trans, going to be using the Sikky kit and will figure out the trans bracket myself. Car will be getting a big turbo and making 7-800 whp. So trying to figure out what I need to do to make sure my rear end can hold the power, need any suggestions.

Probably the 210mm diff rather than the medium case 188mm, a set of dss axles, and reinforced trailing arms.

Comment

Does the car need a "big turbo" to hit 700-800 on that motor? Doesn't sound enjoyable!
      Big diff, dual ear diff conversion and whatever is mentioned above too I would say.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

stock rear end and 195's lol
        91 e30 318is M50 SOLD
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=149570
        92 325 vert project
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=341370

Comment

With dual mounting ears, 94mm CV's and reinforced trailing arms, the 188 diff you have now *should* handle up to 500. Going to a 210mm diff in an E30 is a little tough as the case is very rare. It was only used in E23 745i turbos which were not imported to the US, E24 M6's and E28 M5's.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
            With dual mounting ears, 94mm CV's and reinforced trailing arms, the 188 diff you have now *should* handle up to 500. Going to a 210mm diff in an E30 is a little tough as the case is very rare. It was only used in E23 745i turbos which were not imported to the US, E24 M6's and E28 M5's.

This is helpful, what is the best but easiest to find diff, sounds like the 210mm is going to be hard to source, what is the next step down..

anyone make prefabed dual mounting ears or is this something i need to fab. Also what are the 94mm CV's out of?

Comment

There are only three sizes: 168, 188 and 210. You already have the 188 since you have an M20. However, when used with the M20, these only came with 86mm CV joints.
              The 94mm CV joints were used in M30 cars. You'll need the stock 94mm output flanges, but custom axles.

The dual mounting ear rear cover comes from an E36, but requires fab to make the second mount and weld it to the body.

Comment

Garret also makes that second ear diff mount. Not sure how great that solution is since I havent tried it, but something to look at.

Comment

thanks for the help, will all E36 covers work?

is there a company that makes these axles or do i need to find a axle shop to custom make them

Comment

dss. the driveshaft shop.

DriveShaft Shop engineers built driveshafts for 30 years leading to many record-setting race-car builds. We specialize in the impossible.

Comment

I came here to see a rear engine'd LSX e30.
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                        You have a much more creative outlook on life than most. :up:
                        84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                        Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
                          You have a much more creative outlook on life than most. :up:
                          ....and it usually get's me in over my head.
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post

ha that is very imaginative...

but did not have a question, what models did the 94mm CV joints come out of? and what e30s came with a LSD option?

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X