No announcement yet.

regular old m60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New csb, tranny crossmember/bushings, and a 530 slave. Shits about to get real.

Comment

Did some work last night. Let me start off with it being pretty cold while this was happening.

Decided to go ahead and slap the motor in to start mocking up some mounts.

My buddy in the pic not feeling the cold weather hahaha

But he's a true homie

So we get the motor out with ease and go to fit the trans, and sure enough she doesn't slide in...

As far as it would go. Stuck my phone in through the starter hole to see what was going on inside. If there's ever something you can't see cuz it's a weird part of the bay(or in my case the inside of the trans), just stick your phone in there and snap a picture, comes in real handy.

Turns out I used the pilot bearing from the e36 clutch set. Which has too small an inside diameter, stopping the shaft from sliding in the motor. Oh well. Still some progress made today just didn't get as far as I hoped. Slapped the trans in the trunk and dropped the motor in the bay and set it on some wood.

There she sits. Next up is finding a new pilot and fitting the driveline to mock up some mounts.

Comment

Alright so I have no idea what happened but realoem lists the same bearing for e34s and e36s so hopefully the bearing in the clutch kit was just some cheap non application specific bearing.

Comment

Bought the new bearing. Double checked and it fits. When I went to oreillys they had 2 bearings one being $12 and the other $21. Turns out the $12 one is the same size as mine right now, and the $21 one has a slightly larger inside diameter. I'm assuming the smaller one is for autos?

Comment

Nope, there is no bearing for auto trans. Weird.

Comment

Got some shit done Wednesday night. Started working at around 11:30 and by 12:15 some cops showed up lol. They got a call about someone being "shady" hahaha. The only reason I was ducking from you neighbor, was because I'm 75% sure doing this shit in the parking garage breaks my lease, and I don't want you to see me doing it... That being said the cops were pretty cool and we all had a good laugh about it.

Rented a slide hammer with the pilot attachment. Turns out the arms are too big to fit inside the bearing so I took one off and pulled it only using that one side☝
              don't have any other pictures due to the death of my phone. But I was able to slide her in and bolt up the driveshaft and tranny. Finally finished up around 3:30 only to get in trouble with my girlfriend for working on my car so late. Couldn't stop giggling the whole walk back.

Now im nothing but eager to finish the motor mounts and get the last few maintenance and motor parts.

So If you have any misc parts you think I might need, or a good condition alternator, or wiring harness. Please feel free to shoot me a PM
              Last edited by dothadance; 11-29-2015, 09:05 AM.

Comment

sub'd. is modding the oil pan 100% necessary and if so, whats the reason?

Comment

Originally posted by ginger1340 View Post
                  sub'd. is modding the oil pan 100% necessary and if so, whats the reason?
                  no, you do not have to mod the pan if you space the subframe down.

Most every maker of m60/m62 engine mounts currently is basing off the idea of using subframe spacers. I have covered where this idea of using subframe spacers came from here: https://www.rtsauto.com/mounting-an-m60-m62-without-subframe-spacers-and-without-drivetrain-angle/ Essentially the person who wrote one of the first DIY for the swap used subframe spacers, and because others were religiously following that

Comment

My manifolds finally came in!!!!!

Comment

no pictures but i tacked together my engine mounts, and gave them to my guy to have fully welded up!!! next up comes compression testing, fingers crossed shes clean. the guy i bought it from said good even compression, but you never know.

Comment

Mounts are all welded!!!

And I just paid for a harness! Shit is coming together

Comment

wow where have i been, i remember seeing this post when the v8 was in your living room.. you've come a long way! i am also doing a m60 swap at the moment. also with the wilwood pedal box.. i didnt have to file down my pedal assembly though..
                          sigpic
                          The "Because Race Car" M60 V8 Build Thread
                          On Instagram Straight Flexin' #BecauseRaceCar

Comment

Originally posted by ncrmtrsprtsE30 View Post
                            wow where have i been, i remember seeing this post when the v8 was in your living room.. you've come a long way! i am also doing a m60 swap at the moment. also with the wilwood pedal box.. i didnt have to file down my pedal assembly though..
                            Hahaha yeah man, it feels good. I dont recall if I needed to file it or not, but I did anyway.

Comment

Just to add some more encouragement, I freaking love this engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                              Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                              Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                              Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Can't wait to drive my waffles car again!

Did some work tonight, mostly consolidating all the extra shit I have from my old motor.
                                Last edited by dothadance; 12-20-2015, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X