M60B40 runing poorly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60B40 runing poorly

i recently performed a M60B40 swap into my 325e, it's been alot of fun driving around but there are some issues.
    1. engine runs fairly well until hard acceleration or high RPM acceleration. It will routinely cut out as if it's losing its crank sensor for a split second. It never seems to reach red line. ( i don't have my tach wired up)
    2. the car will not exceed 125 mph in either 4th or 5th gear and when I reach this speed cut it goes into a safe mode which the idle is very high and backfiring like crazy until i turn the engine off. It runs normal from there on after the restart. I have 2 DMEs on with an aftermarket chip with the top speed govenor removed
    3. I've read that if your camshaft sensor fails the engine goes into a wasted spark/fuel mode where the spark plugs and injectors fire every crankshaft revolution. This would explain the bad fuel mileage and backfiring on decel.
    4. If i disconnect the camshaft sensor nothing changes. The crankshaft sensor is brand new oem.
    I've read that it could be my harmonic balancer vibrating too much and losing the crank sensor. upon inspection of the balancer it seems very solid, I can't get it to deflect. I'm willing to guess it's the camshaft sensor since unplugging it makes no difference in how the engine runs.

Are you throwing any codes at all? I think you should find a stock computer and use it as a baseline. Then go over every inch of your harness to see if you have any cracks in the wiring. Problems like this require methodical testing procedures.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I chased some issues after my M60 swap. Two problems, first, warped harmonic balancer. Somebody must have dropped the engine onto it. Crank sensor had a rough time reading. It ran like total crap even after fixing this, because of dirty fuel injectors. After cleaning them she runs like a total dream. But before, it ran like total ass. Maybe 40hp...

Start checking

-Vacuum leaks (spray brake cleaner around the intake/ booster hoses/pcv valve)
      -Measure resistance of cam crank sensor coils, make sure these are good
      -Fuel pressure (maybe your fuel pump is not up to the job)
      -scan for codes

Based on your issues I'd guess crank sensor or fuel. But guessing is just that
      Euro car and parts export business based in the Netherlands, specialized in E30 Tourings!

Instagram: @garage30_ WWW.GARAGE30.NL

Comment

Working...
      X