Ls swap oil pan ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ls swap oil pan ?

Hey guys I'm swapping in a 5.3l from a 2004 Chevy truck does anyone know if I can cut and re-weld the factory oil pan? Or can you cut the front cross member and re weld?

I'm going to say, no. Anything is possible with a welder but the trucks are all rear sump. You need a front sump. Most people use a modified GTO pan or one from Canton. I used a Canton pan, stud kit, and my own oil block. Works great.
    Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
    '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
    Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
    1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
    Check us out
    Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

From what I can see when sitting the motor in I can easily cut 2 inches from the stock pan, i did however completely remove the sway bar and my idea was to install it in front the wheels.

Comment

ls engines already have horrendous oiling issues, removing that much capacity from the pan is possible but you're going to run into starvation issues. fork over the money for a canton or garagistic pan.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
        IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Here, you're in luck. Canton has the exact pan you need in the "garage sale" section for $212. (STUPID CHEAP!!)

Our products solve your engines' oil and cooling problems. Improve your engines oil pressure, oil temperature, and coolant system with Canton Racing Products.

CTR-15-276

Then go to summit and get pickup NAL-12572654

I have a remote oil filter mounted by the driver headlight and I use 7.5 quarts of oil. I have no issues with oil pressure even at 6k in a hard turn.
          Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
          '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
          Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
          1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
          Check us out
          Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Damn that is a good deal and they have a oil filter relocation block on sale as well
            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Thread revival. I'm in the midst of an LS1 swap into my 85 318i chassis. I'm using the Sikky CNC mounts (which are amazing) and the Canton 15-276 front sump pan. With the Sikky mounts, the pan is contacting the steering rack. Curious if anyone else has had this issue? I'm considering a modest cut and re-weld of the front sump drop down on the Canton pan to gain some additional clearance. I'd rather clearance the pan than shift the motor forward. Opinions?
              Attached Files

Comment

I had the same problem on my '84. I moved the engine forward, IIRC because the t56 shifter was centered better that way. But I have a pretty horrendous memory.
                84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Yeah, I elected to just cut the pan. This seems to have done the trick quite nicely. Lost about 1/2qt of oil capacity, but I should make that back up with oil cooler and such.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	194F3B7A-3FD7-4538-96FF-0032E37DA2B8.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	10077780
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X