A couple of LS swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of LS swap questions

So I'm starting to look into doing an LS swap on my 87 325 and I have a couple of questions.

Motor mounts: Does garagistic still make motor mounts? If not, who else makes them? I haven't been able to find much else. I know there's obviously sikky but that's a bit more money than I'm looking to spend.

Oil pan: I've seen people mention getting the canton oil pan but it looks like they have a few different ones for the ls. Which one is the one that works with an e30?

Headers: It looks like garagistic has a set of headers for a good price. Anyone have an experience with them? They seem to be a pretty good product and obviously I would need to either get a flaming river u joint or e36 steering rack to make them work.

Driveshaft: Can't seem to find anything available outside of the sikky kit. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Wiring: I haven't looked very hard but I'm sure there's a writeup somewhere that I can find that would help me out.

Brakes: I'll probably go with one of the manual brake options that are out there. Everything else seems to be a bit too expensive or a bit too complicated.

Am I missing anything? I'm in the very early stages of planning. I already have a t56 that I'm going to be rebuilding but other than that, I'm just still planning everything out.

Thanks for the help

Originally posted by bkaesvziank View Post
    So I'm starting to look into doing an LS swap on my 87 325 and I have a couple of questions.

Motor mounts: Does garagistic still make motor mounts? If not, who else makes them? I haven't been able to find much else. I know there's obviously sikky but that's a bit more money than I'm looking to spend.

Oil pan: I've seen people mention getting the canton oil pan but it looks like they have a few different ones for the ls. Which one is the one that works with an e30?

Headers: It looks like garagistic has a set of headers for a good price. Anyone have an experience with them? They seem to be a pretty good product and obviously I would need to either get a flaming river u joint or e36 steering rack to make them work.

Driveshaft: Can't seem to find anything available outside of the sikky kit. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Wiring: I haven't looked very hard but I'm sure there's a writeup somewhere that I can find that would help me out.

Brakes: I'll probably go with one of the manual brake options that are out there. Everything else seems to be a bit too expensive or a bit too complicated.

Am I missing anything? I'm in the very early stages of planning. I already have a t56 that I'm going to be rebuilding but other than that, I'm just still planning everything out.

Thanks for the help
    First, what's your budget?
    sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by bkaesvziank View Post

I know there's obviously sikky but that's a bit more money than I'm looking to spend.

Everything else seems to be a bit too expensive or a bit too complicated.

I'm in the very early stages of planning.
      Not trying to flame you for this but these points tell me that this car will be on craigslist in a year as an unfinished project. Don't let the forums spoon feed you information. Look harder before asking and get a plan in your head so answers can be more direct and less wishy-washy.

Also take the budget you think will get an engine swap done... and then double it. There's your new budget.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
        Take the budget you think will get an engine swap done... and then double it. There's your new budget.
        Exactly
        sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
          Not trying to flame you for this but these points tell me that this car will be on craigslist in a year as an unfinished project. Don't let the forums spoon feed you information. Look harder before asking and get a plan in your head so answers can be more direct and less wishy-washy.

Also take the budget you think will get an engine swap done... and then double it. There's your new budget.
          Accurate.

Comment

Budget:

L33/LM4: ~$800

Gaskets/other parts for engine: ~$400

T-56: Bought one with 2nd gear blown out for $400

T-56 rebuild: ~$1k

Motor mounts: Maybe $450 if garagistic makes them but no one wants to give me an answer about that so maybe not $450

Exhaust manifolds: $400

Oil pan: ~$350

Diveshaft + adapter: $250

Wiring harness: ~$1k

Misc other stuff (chase bays brakes/exhaust/etc): $3k

Total:~$7k

The reason I say some things are too expensive is because they're too expensive for what they are. I'm not going to spend a grand on exhaust manifolds that people have had to modify to fit. Or $1900 on motor mounts/driveshaft/oil pan when I'm able to do that for almost half.

Comment

Call Garagistic, those guys are awesome. I'm pretty sure they still make the engine mounts. Where are you finding an L33 for $800?

How many swaps have you done before?

I have the sikky headers and they fit perfect. I know they had issues with the early sets they made, but they have since fixed the problem.

I can tell you that a proper built LS swap will cost way more $7K... way more.

Look through the different LS builds on here. Not one of our cars are the same. We all did our research and looked at each others builds for ideas and inspiration. Just know what your getting yourself into, this isn't like a 240SX, LS swap.
              sigpic

Comment

Buying the sikky kit will save you so much money and time in the long run (I had the exact same mentality you have and I wish I would have just bought the sikky kit). My car took entirely too long because I was too busy sourcing various parts/waiting on custom parts to be made. Also I don't believe garagistics mounts work with truck blocks ls1 blocks have another set of bolt holes that the truck blocks don't have but don't quote me. It took me 3 years to have a running driving car just a heads up. Depending on the state of your car the while you are in there stuff (suspension parts bushings etc) really add up quick.
                1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                  Also I don't believe garagistics mounts work with truck blocks ls1 blocks have another set of bolt holes that the truck blocks don't have but don't quote me.
                  Sorry I know I'm quite literally quoting you right now but I guess I'll have to look into that. I know they have different intake/oil pan/accessories but I didn't know they were mounted differently. That would throw a wrench into things if that's the case.

Comment

This is in the small print on their site so it looks like a no go for you

"Thats how low this motor sits from the cross member. Ideal for weight distribution. As always there is a Lifetime Warranty on Engine Mounts and trans mounts. Will not fit truck motor blocks."
                    1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                    COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Yea, I've sent them an email and also posted a question on a ls1 forum so I guess we'll see.

Comment

A swap can be performed for a reasonable amount of money, it's just a matter of time, patience, and planning.

I wanted mine to be as minimalist as possible so I saved money on AC, Power steering, power brakes, etc. I also bought complete cars when possible and parted them out to make money and keep the parts I needed. I made my own harness which saved a bunch of money and I used stock C6 manifolds which saved over buying headers.
                        Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                        '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                        Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                        1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                        Check us out
                        Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Working...
                        X