Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60B40 Euro Swap

Hi all,

So quick intro. I bought my first E30 back in ´12, a alpina white ´86 euro 316. I started a m60 engine swap for it in ´15 but sold it at the end of that year due to buying my first home.
    Now fast forward to 2020, I turned 30 and the E30 bug started itching again (dirty thirty e30 thing). So after keeping an eye on the market here in the Netherlands I found someone who was selling his M60B40 project for a nice price, he sold is cause he needed some space. He bought the car from someone else in Poland.

So right now I have a "handed down" project car from Poland in the Netherlands right now. I still need to officially import the car, for this it needs to be completely road legal.

Issues I have at this moment right now are:
    - Car starts but doesnt run well
    - Car leaks petrol from the exhaust
    - Brakes dont work
    - Cooling needs to be fixed
    - Gearbox adapter needs a proper one installed
    - Body work is a PoS (luckily my neighbour has a bodyshop)
    - Interior looks like it was in a flood

Lots of stuff to do.

For right now I want to have the engine running well without any petrol leaks. Then I will remove the engine and give it some TLC along with the engine bay.

And ofcourse some pictures

Comment

I started the car a couple of days ago. It leaked a lot of unburned fuel from the exhaust. I checked the fuel lines and the previous owner has done some weird construction.
      A fuel filter is next to the cilinder head, above the brake booster construction with a fuel line that goes directly to the intake.
      As far as I know the fuel line is supposed to go to the injectors with a vacuum line aswell and not to the intake.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
      Attached Files

Comment

Small update.

I checked the fuel lines, they weren´t installed correctly. Previous owner installed the carbon canister line te inlet/send line on the fuel rail and also mixed up the other ones.
        So while fixing that I wanted to check and be sure which line is which so I started the car with the lines going to couple of bottles I hooked them up to. But nothing came out.

The fuel pump is a brand new Walbro pump. Checking it I came to the conclussion that the fuel pump gets no power. FML
        So it's a night of checking the write up from Frank on Garagistic and hoping it can help me further.

Comment

Originally posted by GCC-Dwight View Post
          I started the car a couple of days ago. It leaked a lot of unburned fuel from the exhaust. I checked the fuel lines and the previous owner has done some weird construction.
          A fuel filter is next to the cilinder head, above the brake booster construction with a fuel line that goes directly to the intake.
          As far as I know the fuel line is supposed to go to the injectors with a vacuum line aswell and not to the intake.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
          That's the idle air valve.

Comment

Update

So I removed the engine and transmission because the previous made some weird crazy construction to mount a 5-speed 6 cilinder transmission. Instead of using a proper adapter it was mounted with a big ring and lots of spacers. Also the starter from the auto was mated with a 530i flywheel. So I ordered a kit from PMC Motorsport with a CNC transmission adapter and custom flywheel.

Also I started with a brake upgrade. I have E38 Brembo 4-piston calipers but still have to figure out which rotors fit. I dont want to do the whole 5-lug swap because i pretty much only need bigger rotors right now.
            Do you guys have any suggestions regarding rotors?? (Keep in mind I have easy acces to euro cars)

Comment

So a update.. I removed the engine and transmission. Replaced some gaskets, filters, waterpump and stuff like that. Also painted the valvecovers. Now I am reassembling it I totally forgot which cables go to the starter and where the big cable from the alternator goes. Can somebody help me??? (I feel so f-in stupid) I will post a proper update ASAP with pics Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X