Steering wheel lock issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel lock issues

I recently switched steering wheels on my 91 318i and put the M-Tech2 on (the airbag wheel was removed years ago). The M-Tech2 wheel was a little off center so I tried to take it off and put it on straight and the wheel will not come off. The nut holding the steering wheel in place would easily come off before but now it won't turn at all. I've also noticed the steering wheel lock stopped working. I can take the key out and move the steering wheel around and it doesn't lock. I can drive the car with no problem except the steering wheel is not centered. I'm guessing the plastic shroud surrounding the steering column has to come off. Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix this?
    74 2002tii (many mods)
    86 325 (sold)
    88 325is (sold)
    89 325i (totaled)
    91 318is (parted out)
    91 318i
    98 Tacoma Prerunner (parts hauler)

Today I did some internet research on the steering wheel part # and I find out that I have an E34 M Tech 2 wheel so no wonder it wouldn't fit properly. The E30 M-Tech 1 went back on. Seller said it would fit and I took his word for it, I only paid $50 for it and it was in rough shape when I got it. I had it rewrapped for free as a favor owed. Hmmm,.. maybe I can trade it for a E30 385mm M-Tech 2.
    74 2002tii (many mods)
    86 325 (sold)
    88 325is (sold)
    89 325i (totaled)
    91 318is (parted out)
    91 318i

Comment

If you are the one who swapped the wheels then you are the one who will correct the off center problem.I did it on my non locking wheel longer bar and a strong hit while securing the wheel with your legs (seat up).. Voala... The correct the wheel install it same as removal.
      Why do you need the steering lock if you have M Tech 2 for only 50$ 🤑.

Comment

Did a Google search on my M-tech 2 steering wheel (32332226085) and discovered it's a 385mm E34 M-tech 2 wheel. No wonder it didn't fit properly. Wheel came off no problem with an impact wrench and my M-tech 1 went back on. I assumed it was a E30 wheel and that that's what I get for not doing my research when I bought it. Not too sure what I'm going to do with the E34 M-tech 2 wheel, sell it, trade it.
        74 2002tii (many mods)
        86 325 (sold)
        88 325is (sold)
        89 325i (totaled)
        91 318is (parted out)
        91 318i

Comment

Working...
        X