e30 upper steering shaft stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 upper steering shaft stripped

I have a '91 318is that I have stripped down in hopes of building a racecar. I was finishing up my z4 rack/condor steering shaft combo that I installed in a previous thread. I was installing my hub adapter/quick release (which I now understand I need a special spacer to install non-airbag steering wheels into an airbag car like: https://racegerman.com/products/e30-...g-wheel-spacer), and I torqued the shit out of the steering wheel nut in my own hubris. The threads on the upper steering column shaft are mostly dicked (pictured in strippedThreads). I understand I could use a big stack of skookum spacers to make use of the last bit of usable M14 thread, but this is a big-tire car with no power steering, so I really want to be able to give 'er the onion on track.

After my blunder, I decided that removing the upper steering shaft/spindle (part#32311155367 I believe) and having it turned down on a friend's lathe for a smaller thread size was my best bet. I understand that M10/M12 steering wheel nuts are used in a lot of VW/Porsches, so I can't imagine my modifications would compromise the steering wheel security in any way. Also, the part is no longer offered at dealers, and my other option is buying a complete steering column off Ebay for the price of a used Subaru.

I have a few questions:
    1. First, how do I remove the steering shaft from the column housing (pictured in removedLockHousing pic) without replacing whatever expensive bearings exist inside? It stops sliding out of the back of the column at a certain point. I started whacking the front/threaded section with a hammer, but thought it'd be better to ask you guys first.
    2. I removed the stupid little shear bolt from the lock housing and found the captured "front" bearing inside (pictured in lockHousingBearing). Is there are replacement part (or maybe another aftermarket part the spec e30 guys know of) in order to close/capture the front of the steering column that ISN'T the standard lock housing? This car has a CANBUS keypad and PDM, so all of the electronics on the column are useless to me.
    3. Any good input on reinstalling the snap ring/spring combo on the front of the steering shaft (pictured in frontAssembly)? I can already tell this is going to be a rough ordeal. I will possibly find a piece of PVC with the closet ID and press it in.
    3. Is turning down the steering shaft a bad plan? I have read other threads that recommend either M12 or 1/2" based on the M14 nominal thread size. I figure I go for the biggest that fits once my threads are turned off and I have a clean slate.

Any info anyone can provide is useful! There isn't much reason to rebuild the steering column assembly unless you're a dumbass like me, so info on the internet is scarce. Kind of bummed I have to deal with this so close to the "steering system finish line", but you live and you learn.

Attached Files

Also bump because here's my sweet brake hardline setup I just finished.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X