Smell of raw fuel on start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smell of raw fuel on start up

Every morning or every time the engine has cooled down, and i start up my 89 325i, i can smell gas from some where. I have looked and it does not leak on the ground. The car runs fine, its a little chokey when cold. but it runs fine for the most part.
    and sometimes it will do this quick misfire thing at idle. but i think i just need new plugs, cap/rotor/wires.
    any advice would be cool. thanks!
    "life's like the hair outta your ass... short and full of shit...":blowup:

check the hose clamps at the base of the firewall where the rubber lines meet the hard lines at the base of the firewall.

Mine were leaking right there and I had your EXACT symptoms. While youre at it check the supply and return lines on the fuel rail and on the fuel pressure regulator.

Taylor
    Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
    Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Pull the access panel under the RR seat and make sure everything's dry there, too.
      sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

I had similar symptoms. While the engine was still cold, if I stopped at a light or otherwise wasn't moving, I smelled fuel. My shop replaced one or more fuel lines and that solved the problem, said they were old and cracked. If you're curious I can dig up the receipt.

Comment

its cool thanks guys. i will check out those fuel lines after i get out of skool.

Comment

yeah you have a leak in e bay. the same thing happend to me in my e34. but its all good. unless your car goes up in flames.

Comment

Ok so i just looked the car over. I checked the inspection cover under the rear seat and its all dry. So i popped the hood, started the engine and looked. Its leaking from the line that goes to the fuel rail.

thank for the help.. guess it wasnt as bad as i thought.

Comment

cool i just replaced my fuel lines today
                1990 325i BMW

Comment

Working...
                X