Digital M30 AFMs? Maybe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital M30 AFMs? Maybe!

Hey everyone, A company named Panzer Performance can digitize e30 m20 AFMs to eliminate the mechanical switch (not the flapper) so that it won't wear out over time. They have been doing this awhile.

I contacted them with a question. I asked them if they have ever had anybody request having an m30 AFM digitized and if that is possible.

People generally agree that on *modified* motors, m30 AFMs can at least improve throttle response if not help mid range and top end. I know there isn't necessarily consensus on this, let's leave this debate for another time, ok?

I got a prompt and promising response from their tech department. Basically since they both operate on 5V, it comes down to physical geometry. Essentially if the tooling difference was small enough (cost as well), he believes the electronic aspect would be easily figured out. The rep I emailed seemed it is likely this could work.

Some of you are thinking, why bother with this and just go MAF. Well, for us California following smog laws that isn't an option. So a stock appearing m30 AFM with modified m20 airbox would fit the bill. I've seen this airbox mod on this forum, it can be made to look stock.

Some well regarded chip tuners already work with the m30 AFM with stock e30 motronic, like sssquid. There would be no difference to the ECM if the AFM is digital or not, since Panzer has already figured out how to do that part.

I thought some of us in Cali would find this potentially interesting. But before they would consider offering their service on m30 AFMs they would have to physically examine one.

Does anyone have a junk m30 AFM lying around for Panzer to explore options with? Seems they aren't cheap in the used market, but I was told a 'junk' one would be fine. Please let me know if you have a free, or cheap one available, it could benefit some forum members in the future a-la smoggable engine improvement.

Working...
X