Manual Convertible Top Question & Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Convertible Top Question & Others

Hey! I just (like... 8 hours ago?) bought a '90 325i Convertible & it has a manual top...

My question is: when I pop the lever behind the driver seat, the passenger side of the boot cover releases easily while the driver's side has to have a finger/key run under it to pull a latch. Is this normal? If it isn't, how would I repair this?

Thanks for your time! From my short time with the car, I can see that I'm going to have a lot of questions... A LOT... o.O

Oh! Also, since I have your attention! The console on the roof (top of the windshield) has the seatbelt & airbag lights illuminated, but when it got dark out, it looked like they weren't illuminated. Do they just look super bright during the day? How would I go about getting these to turn off if they are on?

Thanks again!

---Bea

The driver's side latch should release along with the other side when you pull the lever. It sounds like it's just out of a adjustment. You can adjust it two ways:

First is by loosening the 2 bolts that hold it in, and adjust it's up/down position. This affects how and where the latch engages.

Second, you can adjust the tension in the cable that is attached to the lever if the latch is not releasing all the way.

The mechanism is fairly simple, it's easier than it sounds. Just play around for a bit and you'll see the answer soon enough.

The lights in your check panel can be turned off easily by pulling the cluster and removing the bulbs.

Comment

I thought the latch under the driver's side boot was normal?!?! Holy crap, that guy lied to me! Seemed reasonable to expect, if someone pulls on the latch while driving, then the boot won't necessarily fly open, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Cha Ching View Post
        I thought the latch under the driver's side boot was normal?!?! Holy crap, that guy lied to me! Seemed reasonable to expect, if someone pulls on the latch while driving, then the boot won't necessarily fly open, no?
        yes you are correct.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood the PO's question. Yes, there is a safety latch underneath the driver's side of the toneau cover.

Comment

The latch he is referring to is a safety catch. It is made like that to keep the cover from flying open if the manual latch is actuated.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
            The lights in your check panel can be turned off easily by pulling the cluster and removing the bulbs.
            It is much easier to cover them with black electrical tape. LOL

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

I'm a big fan of swapping in a non-air bag check panel.
              Keith

"Die feine Art, schnell zu sein."
              "I don't have a gambling problem, my gambling pays for my e30 addiction."

Comment

My question is: when I pop the lever behind the driver seat, the passenger side of the boot cover releases easily while the driver's side has to have a finger/key run under it to pull a latch. Is this normal? If it isn't, how would I repair this?
                Totally normal. Also common for the passenger side of the cover to stick if not adjusted right.
                Aaron

Comment

+1 for normal.

congrats on the cabrio purchase.

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
                  click here for details

Comment

Working...
                  X