Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp guage suddenly hits the roof, all other lights on the dash come on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp guage suddenly hits the roof, all other lights on the dash come on?

I tried a quick search but didn't find anything and am at work and am not even supposed to be on here. I picked up an 88 325is about a month ago but haven't really done much with it yet due to a few small things that needed to be done when I purchased the car, mostly preventative maintenance. There were no issues other than needing brakes when I purchased the vehicle. Well, the car I was borrowing to keep the e30 off the road until the maintenance was done was needed by its owner so I drove the e30 to work today. I have always had the jumping temp guage thing going on but it didn't really bother me since it is a known issue. Well, I was about half a mile from work (9.5 miles from home) and the temp guage had been bouncing around a bit, and then it just starts climbing all the way up. At roughly the same time, pretty much every light on the dash comes on lit up like a christmas tree. With the temp spiking I threw on the heater only to get cold air. I immediately pulled over and turned off the car. I popped the hood and let it sit for a few minutes, then tried to make it the last .5 mile to work. The one light that hadn't come on was the CEL, but that came on as I turned into work. Once at work, I again popped the hood, and there is nothing apparently amiss, no fluids leaking, the is coolant is at a good level, but there was a slight burning smell. So, wtf is going on, and am I screwed and the HG blown? Thanks.
    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

first off, change your timing belt unless you have exact mileage of whem it was replaced last.

now the temp gauge thing can be caused by a poor sender, poor connection to sender or the connection onthat back of the gauage, bad ground on the ECU and alot of other issues.

also check your battery for a good charger and that the alt is charging.
    88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
    85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Naplm00 View Post
      first off, change your timing belt unless you have exact mileage of whem it was replaced last.

now the temp gauge thing can be caused by a poor sender, poor connection to sender or the connection onthat back of the gauage, bad ground on the ECU and alot of other issues.

also check your battery for a good charger and that the alt is charging.
      I'll check those things, though the blowing cold air is really my main concern. The timing belt is the main reason I haven't been driving it, and it will be replaced next week, along with all the other belts, water pump, thermostat, oil, coolant flush, etc, but that may be a moot point if the car actually overheated and blew the HG.
      88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

Hai matt
        Your acc. belt (water pump/alternator) is probably sitting somewhere on the ground in the queen city
        Build Threads:
        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
          Hai matt
          Your acc. belt (water pump/alternator) is probably sitting somewhere on the ground in the queen city
          Sweet! So what are the chances that there is any real damage to the engine?

Edit: I just went out and check and the belt is definitely MIA. So now the question is can it be limped 10 miles home or does it have to be towed?
          Last edited by matthugie; 05-05-2009, 06:39 AM.
          88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

I wouldnt drive it, the alt belt also drive the waterpump (why your temp guage went through the roof)
            88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
            85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Naplm00 View Post
              I wouldnt drive it, the alt belt also drive the waterpump (why your temp guage went through the roof)
              Yeah, that's what I was affraid of. Hooray for AAA. Thanks man.
              88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

you me bojangles STAT
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                  you me bojangles STAT
                  Done.
                  88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

So I got a new belt and pulled the intake off, and the first thing I notice is that there is some oil in the intake boot. I know this can't be good, but what does it mean? Blown HG?
                    88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

I am definitely dominating this thread. I got the new belt on and the car cranked up fine. I let it idle for a minute, nothing off about it. No oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, though with about one minute of idling I don't know how much of either could circulate. The only thing that really concerns me is that the CEL is still on. Time to search on how to pull codes and go from there. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
                      88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
                        So I got a new belt and pulled the intake off, and the first thing I notice is that there is some oil in the intake boot. I know this can't be good, but what does it mean? Blown HG?
                        How much oil? And how many miles? A little oil in the intake of a high mileage vehicle is pretty much normal.

Comment

Originally posted by ethree View Post
                          How much oil? And how many miles? A little oil in the intake of a high mileage vehicle is pretty much normal.
                          Not much, you have to kinda dip into the ridges to find it, I just noticed it at the end of the intake boot when I pulled the intake off. As for mileage, that is unknown, but if I had to estimate I'd guess around 160k. I did some searching after I finished putting the belt on and found that a little oil is normal, so that isn't quite as much of a concern now. Thanks though.
                          88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

So I unplugged the battery and got the CEL to go away, and started the car this morning and it was idling pretty well, but after a couple minutes it started to get a litte rough. Any ideas?
                            88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

fix your vaccum leaks. then you'll be set.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X