Possible engine knock or tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible engine knock or tranny?

Hey all.. so I've had my E30 for almost a month now... and last night while driving I noticed a knocking sound getting loud and louder...so I pulled over and shut off the car, checked the oil and it seemed rather low. I put 1 quart of oil i had in the car from my 335i to temporarily remedy the low oil situation.

The knocking is still there and I can't identify any sign of an oil leak. No oil on driveway either.

Today I moved the car and the knocking sound seems to only happen when the car is in gear and moving. When I rev the engine in neutral there is no knocking sound. No sound as the car is idling either. Inside the car, the sound seems to be coming from the tranny area under the gearbox. I'm still too new at the E30 game to properly identify possible gremlins associated with the E30's so I was wondering if anyone had a possible explanation, help, tips...answers? :)

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Mario

2008 BMW E92 335i - Space Grey/Coral Red/Titanium
    1991 BMW E30 325i and loving it!

The guibo, CSB, drive shaft, motor mounts, or transmission mounts are all possibilities.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

+1

Comment

Thanks guys... I'm hoping the engine isn't kaput...but if it is..it'll just force my hand to swap sooner than expected. I suspect it is a transmission issue..but I just don't know enough yet of these cars to make an accurate call.

Luckily E30Polak is coming to my house on sunday morning to look at the car!

2008 BMW E92 335i - Space Grey/Coral Red/Titanium
        1991 BMW E30 325i and loving it!

Comment

Working...
        X