1991 e30 318i shifting trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 e30 318i shifting trouble

I just bought this car, a brilliantrot 91 e30 318i sedan manual. As I was driving home, the shifting was getting really vague and I pulled over. It's now stuck in a gear (2nd or 3rd) parked in front of someones house. I can drive it but it's stuck in gear and the shift lever/knob has 100% of play and just flops around. What could this be? The Previous owner came to help and said he saw a snapped cable or something but he wasn't sure. Help is appreciated, I am taking it to a shop tomorrow who will look at it for free, and the rest of the car runs great, I just want to know what part it is or could be so they can focus in on what they are looking at. Thanks for your help! I am also on bimmerforums under Radi0Activ3m4n

Probably: The shifter linkage has come apart.

You need to get it up in the air and look.
    I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

We looked underneath and the previous owner said he saw something broken/snapped. What parts would I need to fix this? I own another BMW but I have been blessed with not having to do transmission/shifter work before. What all would I need to do to fix it?

Comment

Kind of need to see what's broken:

(That's an e36 but they are comparable)
        I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

the gold piece for sure

Comment

Another problem that happened as I towed the car was that one of the belts popped off

in this picture it is the belt that goes over the top right pulley:

Comment

You drove it home and took the car apart that fast?
              Probably a circlip on the shifter poped off. Kinda has to be shimmed proper or it pops off. If you remove the rubber boot from inside the car and look down, you can see it.

Comment

That is someone elses picture. I found out everything I needed. I got a new straight selector rod and a new alternator/waterpump belt. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                X