Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilding linkage...

i would like to know what would be the most common parts to change
    when you wanna rebuild your linkage... and i have searched and read all the faq's
    its just it doesnt say what to change..... most of the info is all about short shifters...

anything i need to replace on here????

any help telling me what i need to replace would be greatly appriciated..

First of all you have pictures of 2 different styles of linkage. The first one with the actual picture is the later style with the aluminum shifting arm. If that's the one you have then replace all the clips, washers, and bushings, it will cost less than $20. You'll also want to replace the cup that the shift ball sits in.

The second set of diagrams is the sheet metal console that I believe was made up through '86 (someone correct me if I'm spewing mis-information). I don't have any experience with that setup so someone else will have to help you out there.

I just bought all the parts for mine along with a new shift lever (z4 ssk), and hope to be installing everything the next time I have the car up on the lift.

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
    1989 325iC M50 Vert
    1989 325i Coupe
    1991 318is
    1995 318ti Club Sport
    2006 330i e90
    2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

yeah i have a 89.... so thats it nothing else??? also is the etk still down getting parts #'s is a pain without it...

Comment

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
        1989 325iC M50 Vert
        1989 325i Coupe
        1991 318is
        1995 318ti Club Sport
        2006 330i e90
        2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

alright it aint down no more thanks and btw nice e30....

Comment

It depends on why you want to rebuild it. If it moves around alot when in gear, you need to replace the selector rod joint. That is the part that connects it to the tranny.

I did that on my 85 318i and it was amazing how much better the shifter felt.

Comment

Definitely change the rubber bushing (bush bearing #25-11-1-220-832) where the shift carrier mounts to the transmission. Better yet, buy the Delrin bushing from UUC. This one change on my M3 completely transformed the shifting.
              Also replace the foam rubber puck (washer #25-11-1-434-194) inside the selector rod joint. It removes the play between the selector rod and the transmission rod.
              I installed the stiffer puck for the M3 (spacer ring #25-11-2-226-585, about $1) on my 318i, and I couldn't believe the difference. In spite of the different name in the ETK, it is the same part as the stock 325 except for the stiffness. It is harder to install, but I think it is worth it.
              John
              88 ///M3 Cinnabar
              84 318i Black

Comment

Working...
              X