Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

non bmw tech question, starting issues - fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non bmw tech question, starting issues - fuel pump?

i know it isn't a bmw, but it is car related and the same rules will apply...

my roommate has a '94 jeep cherokee and it has been acting somewhat intermittent for a few days now. Personally, i think the fuel pump is dying, but i'm not 100% sure.

We took out the old fuel filter and replaced it with a new one. I was emptying out the old fuel filter into a glass, and it was dirty as hell. There was alot of black particles. Once it was empty (the filter), i could shake it around and feel the black stuff sloshing around inside.

When you start it, sometimes it will crank and never start.... once in a great while, it will crank over and run for 15 seconds then start sputtering and eventually die. If you have the car running, and you hit 50% throttle suddenly, it will just sputter. If you gradually push it to 50% throttle, it may work....

what do you guys think?
    Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
    '99 M3 / Track Car
    '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
    '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Fuel pump, no doubt. Bang on the tank a few times and if that helps run it for an extra few seconds, you know it is for sure.

Comment

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that... banging on the tank helps the situation. alright, i'm gonna let him know to get that thing replaced
      Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
      '99 M3 / Track Car
      '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
      '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

Working...
      X