Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think i am fucked

edited
    Last edited by Tbolt; 04-07-2010, 01:30 PM.
    Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

With the work you've done, there is a real possibility of intake leaks. They could be the cause of the rough idle.

If the engine was running okay before the fuel pump died, it would be reasonable to assume that those injectors were good. I'd put them back in and throughly check for intake leaks.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

ah sucks man...i may be able to help you with a spot to keepit/look at it for a day or two if youd like. what part of md are you in? i have a garage where i keep all my e30s..
      e30s r kool

Comment

i live northeast of baltimore about 40 minutes in perryville . I go to school at umbc though, but the car is in perryville and would have to be towed from there.

that would be awesome if you could help out.
        Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

Comment

Have you tried swapping afms with a known good unit? I know they can cause odd idle and poor running.

Comment

I am off work all weekend, I am going to try and figure out the next step. Where can I get a working afm? thats the piece attached to the airbox right? I have one from my old vert but I can't guarantee that it works. I suppose I should try it.

And for intake leaks, consult the bentley?
            Tbolt Division

Comment

The best diagnostic for intake leaks is to have a pro smoke test the intake and crankcase.

Comment

And. If your gonna check for vacuum leaks your self use starter fluid. Spray at the base of the intake and around the vacuum lines if you hear The rpms jump you have one or it could bog the engine down.
                84 318I Delphin RIP
                87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Carb cleaner or starter fluid is great for leaks around the intake that you can hit directly. For other leaks, not so much. This technique works great on injector seals, but not well on the intake manifold gaskets or other places on the engine. So if you get a negative result this way it doesn't mean that there isn't a leak.

A mostly complete list of possible sources of an intake leak is:

Intake boot
                  Throttle body gasket
                  Intake gaskets
                  FPR vacuum connections
                  Evap control system
                  Crank case vent hose
                  Injector seals
                  Valve cover gaskets
                  Oil filler cap seal
                  Dipstick o-rings
                  Oil return tube seals
                  Brake booster connections
                  Brake booster

Comment

Working...
                  X