Damn Fuse keeps popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn Fuse keeps popping

I have a fuse that keeps popping, like several damn times a day. I don't know the number but it controls all the gauges except the speed-o, the AC fan, and the starter. It is a 7.5 amp fuse, it still pops a 10 amp. It is about 3/4 of the way to the firewall, from the front of the car and on the row closer to the 1/4 panel. It seems to do it when I switch from reverse to 1s gear, 5 - speed. It also seems to do it more the hotter it is outside, but that might just be my mind.
    This shit is driving me CRAZY!!!! That autozone guy must think i'm nuts from all the fuses i'm buying.
    Originally posted by KingB
    Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Originally posted by HST View Post
    I have a fuse that keeps popping, like several damn times a day. I don't know the number but it controls all the gauges except the speed-o, the AC fan, and the starter. It is a 7.5 amp fuse, it still pops a 10 amp. It is about 3/4 of the way to the firewall, from the front of the car and on the row closer to the 1/4 panel. It seems to do it when I switch from reverse to 1s gear, 5 - speed. It also seems to do it more the hotter it is outside, but that might just be my mind.
    This shit is driving me CRAZY!!!! That autozone guy must think i'm nuts from all the fuses i'm buying.

check the wiring for your reverse light down on the transmission. All your gauges stop working right? the PO of my car had ziptied the wires to the trans mount bracket (bad idea) and with the rocking motion (bad trans mounts) the wires eventually broke, and the 12V hot wire was grounding against the side of the car or the trans from time to time.

Also check where they run through the boot, which incidentally is right next to the shifter. might have a chafe or a tear and its grounding out..

Comment

I just disconnected the damned reverse light. Fuck that.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

yea man check under the boot of the stick i was plagued with that problem for a while the wire was pinched against the chassis causing a short.
        sigpic

Comment

Cool, I'll check it out after work. Me and robertk did the 5-speed swap and we could have fucked that up.
          Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Goya20 View Post
            yea man check under the boot of the stick i was plagued with that problem for a while the wire was pinched against the chassis causing a short.
            We have a winner!!!! Thanks man.

Comment

Not to thread jump, but wish I could fix my freaky fuse that easily. Fuse 14, right headlight keeps blowing. Always 14 fuse. Havent traced down the ground yet though, guess thats the next step.
              sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) link

Get the appropriate ETM from here:

It's probably easiest to trace it from the headlight rearwards to see if you can find a bare wire similar to the OP's finding.

Edit: I notice you created a separate thread and got the same link there.
                On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. (Edward Mote 1797-1874)

Comment

Working...
                X