Power Window makes terrible noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Window makes terrible noise!

My passenger side power window has started making a terrible noise lately.
    It mainly happens when it is going down and it sounds like maybe the gears inside the regulator are grinding. I took out the window to remove the tint and thought I have a listen and find where the noise is coming from. I can't tell if it's coming from the regulator or the wire moving through the track(not scissor style). Is this a common problem? Should I just replace the regulator and see if that fixes it? Thank you for your help!
    -Matt

1986 BMW 325
    sigpic

That noise is probably from worn gears in the motor.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The front passenger window my wife's '88 4 door makes thie same god-awful clicking noise, but only when it reaches the full closed position, so you have to be careful and let off the window button at the right time.

Would this also be the window motor or some kind of stop mechanism that's malfunctioning?

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        That noise is probably from worn gears in the motor.
        +1.

My passenger does the same when all the way down.

Comment

So this is one of the non-scissor type mechanisms and just need to confirm that it's either the motor or possibly something on the track that's not telling the motor to stop when fully closed. Been searching three forums and no one seems to have an affirmative answer for this style window.

And that motor is $300 thru BMA and Pelican lists it as NLA, so I'd like to get this figured out and have the correct parts on hand before I go ahead and open up the door panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Window.png
Views:	2
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	7127063

Comment

Hi,

I had the same problem. The plastic housing of the motor got worn the place inside where it is supposed to keep the "rail" fixed. So the rail slid in the motor, and the gears started to grind the rail.

Take a look at it while moving up and down, the rail should not move relatively to the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Scywrath View Post
              Hi,

I had the same problem. The plastic housing of the motor got worn the place inside where it is supposed to keep the "rail" fixed. So the rail slid in the motor, and the gears started to grind the rail.

Take a look at it while moving up and down, the rail should not move relatively
              to the motor.
              So did you need to replace the rail or the motor?

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                So did you need to replace the rail or the motor?
                I removed the motor from the rail, cleaned and degreased the plastic parts and wiped the rail clean at the mating surfaces.
                Then I put some epoxy resin glue on the plastic where the rail sits, then put the rail back carefully aligned. Then, trying not to move the assembly, I bolted the cover back on.

The rail was not totally degreased, so the epoxy resin didn't stick to it, only fixed the worn parts of the plastic housing. Of course I had to be careful not to get any glue in the rail.

I used 12-hour curing epoxy resin.

Comment

Thanks, but I guess I'm just gonna have to get into it to see the proper fix.

Comment

Working...
                  X