Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could it still be a Vacuum Leak?

87 325e.

Symptoms: Cold idle is great. Dead steady at 700RPM. Warm idle sometimes fluctuates/wanders about 200 RPM up and down in a consistent rhythm. This fluctuation stays perfectly consistent in rhythm and 200 rpm scope with no load on the engine if I rev it up to just about any RPM. So if I hold the gas pedal to a 3000RPM, it'll wander there from 2800 to 3000 back and fourth consistently.

It does not always do this, but it's fairly consistent. What have I tried? I have inspected all vacuum hoses. They look pretty good. I have replaced my valve cover gasket and rocker plugs. I have replaced the coil, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, timing belt. I have adjusted the valves. I have replaced the air filter, and cleaned out the throttle butterfly and IAC valve with TB cleaner. Still, this problem creeps up every once and a while. Very weird.

If the ICV is clean enough that the vane moves freely, it could be bad or the Idle Control Module could be bad.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Also check the vacuum lines running to and from the ICV

'88 325iX -Totaled
      '97 M3 - Sold
      '85 euro e30 Pete McHenry 2.8L m20 Stroker - Parting out
      '89 325is - Sold
      '95 540i 6spd
      '87 325is M Technic I s50

Comment

Since the symptoms are also present at any RPM, wouldn't that take the idle circuit out of the equation?

Comment

It should, but if the TPS is bad (shorted idle switch) or the ICM is bad, the ICV could still be a player.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

My m42 has the same symptoms... replaced the ICV, replaced/checked all vac hoses, replaced the TPS and still does it... any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
            X