M42 valve cover oil baffle thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 valve cover oil baffle thing.

a month or so ago I replaced the head on my m42, when I took the valve cover off it sat in a hot tank for 2 days before I took it out to be powder coated. At that point I noticed this plastic baffle thing that had a gasket sandwiched in there.

It was all fucked up and soft and full of the solvent. After a few days of letting it sit, it shrunk and firmed up but not still quite right. I put it all back together anyway as I couldn't find out what the hell it was or where to get another gasket.

Now after an autocross yesterday, it looks like that thing is putting oil into the intake and consequently burning it off in a nice big oily cloud.

So, what is it, where can I get another one? It's not showing up on Realoem.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

the plastic things at the ends of the rocker shafts?

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
    i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

If it is the baffle attached to the cam cover, it is the crankcase vent system, or PCV valve. It allows pressure built up in the crankcase from blowby to be recirculated through the intake. With a bad gasket, the oil is bypassing the baffle that is supposed to keep it from re-entering the intake system and getting sucked directly back through the engine, thus the oil smoke. A new gasket should fix it.

EDIT: I didn't notice you said you couldn't find it. I'd guess that it has to be on realoem somewhere, or go to the dealer and they should be able to supply you with the part number for the PCV gasket.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Can't be bought seperately. So I just made a gasket, had it in for one day so far, seems good. We'll see how it does with 2 days of autocross this weekend.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

I was prepping mine for powder coat as well, but I noticed mine didn't have a gasket at all. Also how did you remove the baffle on the other end. One side is bolted on the other side seems to be riveted.

Comment

If you're missing the gasket you can make one as said above with the careful application of RTV. You could in theory remove the riveted cover on the obverse side, but as it has no inlet/outlet it does nothing other than redirecting oil flung off of the cams.

Comment

Okay thanks for the heads up. I had another look today the gasket was stuck on the the plastic piece so well that I didn't notice.

Comment

Working...
              X