Coolant leak into radiator and tranny.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant leak into radiator and tranny.

:crazy: Radiator broke, pinkish fluid in the radiator reservoir (most likely) tranny fluid. Checked tranny fluid - looked clear, so coolant/water probably got in the tranny.

Just replaced with brand new radiator and performed engine flushed.

Drained auto tranny fluid and flush with seafoam already....however, do I need to replace the tranny filter or not necessary?

Castrol ATF High Milages any good or should I get something else?

Car is a 90 325is with auto tranny.

i had no idea the two systems connected..
    No more e30s for me.
    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
    91 BMW 325i [sold]
    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
      they do!

bmwnoy: I would replace the tranny filter, and flush it again. Water will raise to the upper portions of the tranny, where just one flush may not get.

any ATF is ok, as long as it is Dexron II/III compatable
      1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

I'd replace the filter. That should be done about every 50k as routine maintenance anyway. Under operating condition the transmission runs hot enough that any coolant that reached the transmission will vaporize. Since you apparently didn't see milkshake in the transmission fluid ther can't be much, if any, coolant in the transmission.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
          Auto E30's have tranny coolers in the rad.
          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

lol, most every automatic has a cooler in the trans.

Comment

Just filled the tranny with Castrol ATF high milages....planning to drive it for about 100miles before draining and replacing the tranny filter along with new ATF fluid.

Hopefully I didnt destroy the tranny when the radiator broke????

Comment

yea hopefuly not ^

I just thought... water is heavier than oil/atf so it should have settled at the bottem, not the top like I said

I would still drain/refill the pan a week after you change the filter, just to make sure. And I would recommend changing the filter every 30k, not 50 like Jim said. It makes me feel better to drain/refill the pan every time I change engine oil, its not that much more time or expense (extra 10 minutes, and only three quarts of DexIII).

Etxxz: like the Farm-man said, most every automatic tranny has a cooler built into the radiator, to help cool the fluid. When the tank(s) inside the radiator crack/split/break, the fluids can mix
                Last edited by SpecM; 10-27-2009, 02:07 PM.
                1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

It's usually the seam where the trans cooler lines interface with the end tanks that develop a leak in the trans cooler due to fatigue from heat cycling.

Comment

well, as mentioned above, if you don't have milkshake in your tranny, that would be a good sign. someone mentioned above that water is heavier than oil so it will settle to the bottom. this is true, but the problem is that the filter and pickup is in the bottom of the pan so if you do indeed have water in your trans and it was run that way, you are screwed. the problem is that bmw uses water soluble adhesive to glue the friction surfaces to the plates. if they get wet, they will without a doubt come apart on you. just in case, you might want to start sourcing a used tranny.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                    X