X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking down some vibrations... help and input please

1988 325iS
    5sp Manual

Vehicle was bought and on the ride home I noticed some vibrations which I will list here:

Steering wheel vibration/floor board vibration(driver side only) at higher speeds. More noticible at 65-70mph. The passenger floor board is butter smooth from 2mph to 100+ mph. Previous owner replaced passenger wheel bearing.

What to do to fix? I had other plans and doing maintenance so here is what was done and the result...

Driver Side Wheel Bearing
    IE3 Stage 3 Springs
    Bilstein Sports
    Tie Rod Assemblies and fresh alignment

Less than 1 year ago previous owner installed control arms, bushings and passenger side wheel bearing...

Get the car back and go for a drive. What was once only at 65mph now starts at 35ish MPH and continues no matter the speed. Again the passenger floor board is butter smooth... it is less a wheel bearing rapid grind/buzz and more of a shake/vibration now. Is there any way this could be bad wheel bearing? Installed wrong? What else to check or replace on this problem?

It is not really making the steering wheel shimmy though and is really in the pedals, steering wheel and floor board...

New wheel and tires arrive on Tuesday so I am thinking maybe the couple year old tires could be at fault?(Yokohama All Season of some sort on basketweaves).

Now for the what feels like engine/driveline vibe that is RPM dependent and only 2500-3000 rpm and feels quite a bit worse while engine braking.

Waiting on install:

CSB
    Guibo
    Trans Mounts
    Engine Mounts

Want to make sure I fix all this. I am upset because before the parts were installed I had an e30 that at 80mph in 5th would roll sooooooo smooth. Just had a couple minor problems at certain RPMs and certain speeds. I put new stuff on and upgrade others and suddenly I have worse problems it seems than before...

Thanks guys!

The first thing you should have done was to have the balance of at least that wheel checked. The wheel could be out of balance or bent.

The drive train vibration sounds rather like a failed CSB, which would be caused by binding u-joints in the drive shaft. Meaning that you'd need to replace both the CSB and drive shaft. If the rubber mount of the CSB has failed, that is a prime candidate for the vibration.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

That is where I am at right now. Brand new tires coming for my aftermarket wheels which rode smooth with dead tires so that will be tried out on Wednesday.

I hope a CSB and guibo fix some of the vibes. Otherwise guess I am ordering a driveshaft haha

Comment

Working...
      X