Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little miss sunshine horn/steering wheel ratchet sound. help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little miss sunshine horn/steering wheel ratchet sound. help?

So i was going around a corner and my horn decided to honk without pushing the button. Over the course of my 2 mile drive back to my house the honking was similar to that of the movie little miss sunshine. I got many stares and glares, but there was nothing i could do but hold my hands up to signal it wasn't my intentions. When i got home i pulled the horn relay from my fuse box. The next time I went to drive my car I noticed a clicking sound when i turn the wheel coming from the column. The click sounds very similar to that of a ratchet wrench. It makes the sound both ways. Has anyone shared an experience like this? any suspicions or advice would be appreciated. thanks yous.

Yep, same shit happened to me on the way to get food. Take off your steering wheel (you'll need a 22mm socket and a breaker bar). There's a little piston on a spring that presses up against a metal ring on the back of the wheel to make contact. I'd put money on the guiding housing that the piston resides in being broken. So the little piston, having nothing but a spring guiding its motion, is touching the steering shaft (the other horn contact to the steering wheel), shorting the circuit which tells the car that the horn button is being pressed. The clicking that you hear is the piston contacting different portions of the wheel as you turn it.

I haven't solved the problem yet as it happened to me right before I went into a motor swap, but it can't be all that hard of a fix. I just pulled the horn fuse for the time being.

Comment

bwahhhaha, This used to happen to me about twice a year in my first e30.

Comment

Working...
      X