Coolant light keeps coming on but no sign of leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant light keeps coming on but no sign of leak

'92 E30 conv has a coolant light that keeps coming on. No signs of leaking underneath, but I have to refill the fluid about once a week.

What do you think, head gasket?

****** Update at page bottom, head gasket is blown. Would appreciate your advice on how to proceed please.
    Last edited by plaskon; 12-05-2009, 02:33 PM.

How tight are your hoseclamps that go from the radiator to the tank? If you can spin the hose they're too loose. If that doesn't solve the problem, then look to serious issues next.

Comment

If you are having to add coolant once a week there is a leak. In the absence of overheating, white smoke from the exhaust, or other engine problems, the cause of the loss of coolant is a leak. A pressure test of the cooling system should tell where the leak is. Hoses, water pump, throttle body heater, radiator, and expansion tank/cap are all possible candidates.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

water useage ?

I found a crack in the head under the cam tower on a customers car one time. Also check the underside of the oil filler cap for signs of moisture. Good luck Joe

Comment

how does your oil look?
          -Andy

Comment

Bad news, all. Head gasket is blown.

Your advice please? Should I get it fixed or bail on this car? 140k miles.

Comment

That rather depends on the condition of the body and interior. As these cars go, 140k is pretty low mileag. So if the body and interior is in good condition it would reasonable to pull the head and, have it surfaced and pressure tested. That would be an opportunity to have the valves ground, new guides (if needed) and new seals. With good maintenance the engine should go another 150k.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks, Jim.

Exterior and interior are in good shape. I will be sending the head to a machine shop.

$

Comment

Originally posted by plaskon View Post
                  Thanks, Jim.

Exterior and interior are in good shape. I will be sending the head to a machine shop.

$
                  If you can do it all yourself, you'll save a ton. Replacing my HG was surprisingly cheap. Replacing $600 bucks worth of parts I threw out on the way there put a dent in my wallet though. :-)

Comment

i've got the same problem with mine, was leaking coolant through the heater pipes soaking the passenger side carpet with coolant, just got this issue fixed the other day and a service, they ended up bypassing the heater, but i think i might have a major leak topped up my coolant to fill line last night and this morning it was halfway below the line :/ no sign of a puddle on the ground or anything so i'm stumped on what is going on..

any ideas?

Comment

best way to find out is a pressure test of the cooling system, that will tell you whats going on but you will need to take it to a shop that has the equipment to do it or pruchase the tester yourself, here in the united states you can pick them up for 80-100 but you could probably find a cheap one online somewhere and have it shipped to new zealand. idk what kinda places you have for tools over there.
                      Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                      Bimmerbuddies LLC
                      717-388-1256
                      2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                      bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

yeah i might just take it back into the shop, it's weird cause i have no idea where the coolant would be going, the car runs fine, just misses sometimes when i don't drive it for a while. hopefully it's not too expensive

Comment

Working...
                        X