Leak in trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak in trunk

Just bought a 318is with minor rear end damage. Opened the trunk today and after acouple of days of hard raining I found a swimming pool in the left trunk compartment storage area. The trunk lid sits a little higher on this side and I am betting on the seal not being met with the lid but just wanted to see if anyone else had any other leakage in the trunk from another source. Also is the lid adjustable? Seal looks fine.

Thanks in advance.

keep this one.
    Last edited by moonman; 02-06-2010, 10:34 PM. Reason: double post.

Comment

Mine leaks on both sides. But there is damage under my left light that allows water in. NOW, on the right side, I found that I had water pooling. I did leakage tests and found that water was penetrating through screw holes that are used to mount the bumper trim....

Comment

replace your tail light gaskets, they are like 10 a piece at the dealer
        -Andy

Comment

It could also be the gasket surrounding the rim of the truck, or maybe just the rubber height adjustment studs are not even!

Simplicity is your best option!

Comment

Oh yeah, the plastic grommets that hold the side trim (behind the window) on leak, too.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

just took a look at everything and spotted some water on that plastic piece that connects to the side of the bumper? I will replace gaskets n stuff, thanks for the help..oh yeah I also freaked out and searched other places and found water under my driver seat! Any idea about that? I saw a thread where someone was fixing their water drains with a screw driver but don't know if it was here or e30tech. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Pink screwdriver = e30tech

Manly screwdriver, obvious hammer useage: R3V

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Check your antenna grommet as well!
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                  1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                  1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                  1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Sweet thanks.

Comment

no problem
                      -Andy

Comment

Tore some shit apart and found the culprit. There is the vent with a flap that pops into the rear and the gasket on that was shot. I did a quick fix and will be getting a new gasket for It this week. Feel a lot better knowing where it's coming from. Now I just gotta track down the water under my seat. Read some posts about door lining. I'll post pics soon.

Comment

When you need to find where a leak is coming from like this, pull out as much stuff as you can (carpet, interior pieces (if in the cabin)/spare tire stuff (if in the trunk), etc). Have a buddy sit in the car while you go against every little opening of the car. Once you buddy see's water, stop and slowly go back over that area.

Hope it helps!

Comment

^ Thanks, that's what we did, yanked the carpet out on that side, and had a gallon of water and just poured it where I thought it could be coming from and sure enough this is what I found.

Comment

The reason why water was coming through there is because my bumper doesn't sit correctly on that side due to the mounting bar at the left rear of the bumper was pushed in a bit causing the bumper to pull down and away from the wheel well area, so there is a gap there and driving through the rain meant left tire kicking water right into that gap and into the failed gasket. Sucked.

Comment

Working...
                              X