Eta intake manifold question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eta intake manifold question

Since the longer intake runners of the eta intake manifold are part of what give the eta it's higher torque numbers, I was thinking of keeping the eta intake manifold in the car, and fitting a 325i throttle body. My question is, is there enough room where the throttle body mounts to the intake manifold to enlarge the opeing to match the size of the 325i throttle body?

It's going to be close.
    Ok the Eta diameter at the intake is 54mm the I is 62mm.
    Width wise you'll be fine, it's height wise where it will be close. The outside dimension of the Eta is 69mm leaving a 3.5mm Wall thickness when enlarged.
    Now there are some other problems, on the Eta it has the fitting for the Brake vacume right where the I's ICV hose is. So You'd have to cut off the fitting on the intake and weld in the hole. Then there is the ICV fitting on the exhuast side of the Eta intake that would need capped off with the I part.
    Personally if I was ussing an I head I'd use the I manifold, if ussing an eta head then use the Eta manifold. The 2.7i is never gone to be a torquey motor(why i went with the m30).
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Oh, I'm not building a stroker. I just looking into some airflow options. I had an i intake manifold and throttle body on my last eta, and I was thinking of just keeping the eta intake manifold and matching the throttle body opening to the i throttle body. Just ideas I'm kicking around, I like to try different things.

Comment

You can do it, I currently have an i tb, on my e manifold.
        There is just enough metal to make the hole big enough, some ports had to be plugged and changes made, but it works fine.

You'll need the 325i afm boot.

Comment

Ditto, that is how I ran mine after the I manifold made my car idle like crap. I enlarged the opening and then cut off the vac ICV line on the throttlebody and plugged it with a metal plate. Then capped off the extra vac lines and used the 325e manifolds stock vac line and ICV lines but just used a flexible piece of vac line to route to the other side of the boot.
          Im now E30less.
          sigpic

Comment

Correct, it does work. I can let you know how to run your hoses without altering the eta manifold in any other way besides the boring. I got everything to work out when i had my i throttle body on. Had to take it off due to unrelated idle problems, the noticably softer throttle spring, and interference with the hood sound deadner. Things I was too lazy to deal with at the time.
            Old and improved:

Comment

Cool, thanks for the good info, guys. :up:

Comment

Working...
              X