Something loose in rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something loose in rear

Hey guys, something has worked itself loose in the rear of my car, and i notice it when either going from reverse to forward, i know i am in need of new engine mounts, and my suspension is completely OEM, well except for my inner and outer tie rods int he front, and the sound is like this clunk, i also notice it when the car is just sitting their, sometimes i can get it to make the clunk if my clutch is out and i move the shifter from neutral to almost 1st gear and back to almost in 2nd gear, not to sure what is it, any ideas?

Check your diff bushing and mounting bolts. I bet they're either loose and/or gone. Either that or subframe bushings.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

wow, i would expect most people to say u joints which i'm happy to hear your not, i've heard sub-frame bushings many times, but where exactly are they located? and how do you tie in my diff into what i described when i shift almost in to 1st or second, what exactly is going on here lol. thanks your help, it's always appreciated.

Comment

SubFrame bushings suck. Take off the brakes, axles, trailing arms, and there you have your subframe bushings...basically right around the stand-points right in front of your rear wheels. From what I remember they're about the size of a clneched fist...well, a small fist.
        I'm not sure about the diff bushing thing.
        Good luck man, I hear a new clunk every day, so I know what you're going through.
        - 2000 Audi S4 Stg 2 (sold)
        - house (bought)
        - 1997 Civic Hatch (shaky but driveable)
        - 2010 Sportster 1200 Forty Eight Ed. (vroom)
        - 1991 318is S50B30 (TBA)

Comment

Originally posted by clutterbucker
          SubFrame bushings suck. Take off the brakes, axles, trailing arms, and there you have your subframe bushings...basically right around the stand-points right in front of your rear wheels. From what I remember they're about the size of a clneched fist...well, a small fist.
          I'm not sure about the diff bushing thing.
          Good luck man, I hear a new clunk every day, so I know what you're going through.
          Thanks.

Comment

If it is your subframe bushings, which I doubt it is. You dont have to do all that. You can try first jsut lowering the entire subframe itself and pulling the bushing out. A torch works if everything else fails. Get urethane ones.

I would, like said, start looking at the diff mounts. I wouldnt writeoff play in the u-joint or even play in the diff.
            Im now E30less.
            sigpic

Comment

writeoff? you mean you wouuldn't expect play in the u joints or differential, or you wouldn't ignore those things being it?

Comment

write-off = ignore
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

ah, is that pic of yours stretched? the roof looks long and lower or something like a sedan, not specifically an E30 sedan because they don't really look different but it's jsut mroe sedan looking.

Comment

Originally posted by dwonda
                    is that pic of yours stretched?
                    No. The car is lowered about 2" front and rear.

Comment

wow, makes a big difference, are you wanting some euro or plastic bumper's as much i am, the diving board bumpers seem to stick out more on cars that arn't black, i really wish i could find some euro bumper's, taht way i wouldn't have to worry about paint, i believe the euro's are chrome instead of brushed aluminum, and are tucked in more, is that right?

Comment

I have a pair of euro bumpers at my house. I'm going to paint them body color when i get my tax return check. I also have an Mtech I front airdam.

Comment

sweet, so your painting the chrome, why?

Comment

Originally posted by dwonda
                            sweet, so your painting the chrome, why?
                            because i think they'll look better and more modern body color

Comment

well to each his own i suppose.

Comment

Working...
                              X