Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difficulty pumping gas (constant clicks - acts like its full when its not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficulty pumping gas (constant clicks - acts like its full when its not)

I have a problem w/ my 318is when pumping gas. You know how when you tank is full, the gas pump clicks and doesnt let you pump anymore, then you have to pump in very small amounts. So mine does this at ANY level. What can this be? This drives me mad so any help is appreciated!
    My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post
    I have a problem w/ my 318is when pumping gas. You know how when you tank is full, the gas pump clicks and doesnt let you pump anymore, then you have to pump in very small amounts. So mine does this at ANY level. What can this be? This drives me mad so any help is appreciated!
    did you try different stations? maybe one plae has goofy pumps

however, mine will do this sometimes if I have the nozzle pushed all the way in. try backing the nozzle 1-2" off the filler neck and see if it still does it.
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

I only filled up twice and it did the same thing both times.
      My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Comment

I have to keep the nozzle a few inches out too. And sometimes I come across very odd pumps that keep clicking off so I just don't go back to that station if possible.

Comment

I have this same exact problem, however the cause of mine is my own fault.

This past summer I tore everything, absolutely everything (ok, not the wiring/HVAC/dash) out, cleaned it up/replaced it and put it all back together. That included the gas tank + excessive, tangled bunch of intersecting and criss crossing evap lines leading to a little reservoir near the filler neck. The obvious reason for my problem is that somewhere during reassembly I must have pinched a line, which makes the gas tank build up pressure too quickly during fill up, causing the annoying click every 1-1.5 gallons, and making filling up a 5-8 minute procedure. Plus the occasional overflow if I'm not careful. Fun stuff.

I can go with the assumption that you didn't take all that apart, but as far as a source of your problem, I'd look there. As to why it would happen out of nowhere, I have no idea.

Personally, I'm not too eager at all to go back into that nest of lines, so I'm gonna live with it until I find myself dropping the subframe again or something.

If you're curious however, and you don't find an easier solution, access to these lines is from a) the normal fuel pump cover area under the back seat, and b) by removing a little panel held in by 6-8 plastic nuts just above the rear passenger side wheel, in the fender well. I'd urge caution with going in there though, cause it was one of the least fun parts of my reassembly process. There's a small line, a slightly bigger line, and a fairly large braided line, with intersections at the top of the filler pipe, the reservoir, the gas tank and one more as a little three way connection between them.

The reservoir (at least in my 87ic and an 89i that I had for parts) is behind the fender cover thing, behind the passenger rear tire, to the right and just ahead of the trunk.

Good luck,

-Brett
          87 325iC 90 325iC 88 325iC 87 325i 87 325iS 87 325eS

Comment

dont stick the pump in so far. put the nozzle in maybe half way, that always solves it for me.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
              dont stick the pump in so far. put the nozzle in maybe half way, that always solves it for me.
              Actually I was the one that filled it up twice and I tried that. Problem is, you'll be filling up the filler neck and you'll have to physically watch the gas pouring each time you fill up.

I know its just hearsay but I heard that topping off like that isn't very good.

We'll take a look and see if any lines have been pinched...who know's maybe p/o fucked up.
              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Or may be dude8383 just doesn't know how to fill up an E30...
                My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Comment

never had that problem, it always stops before it overflows

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                  Actually I was the one that filled it up twice and I tried that. Problem is, you'll be filling up the filler neck and you'll have to physically watch the gas pouring each time you fill up.

I know its just hearsay but I heard that topping off like that isn't very good.

We'll take a look and see if any lines have been pinched...who know's maybe p/o fucked up.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                  Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                    never had that problem, it always stops before it overflows
                    Well we still can't fill it up without the fucking clicker going mad, half-way in or not.

Gotta look around to see if any fuel lines are pinched.

Comment

did some punk stick soemthing in the filler neck that would be causing a partial obstruction?

Comment

my old e30 did this, i could only hold the lever down 3/4's to pump gas.... oh well deal with it.
                        1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
                        1987 e30 325 eta
                        1983 e28 533
                        2001 x5 4.4l
                        1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
                        1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by rkettner View Post
                          did some punk stick soemthing in the filler neck that would be causing a partial obstruction?
                          lol thats something to consider

Originally posted by mitch500 View Post
                          my old e30 did this, i could only hold the lever down 3/4's to pump gas.... oh well deal with it.
                          Oh well YOU can deal with it, some people like it when their shit works ya know what I mean... But thanks for your help ;)

Comment

lol why would I deal with it when its more fun to get down and dirty and find what the problem is and FIX IT....
                            My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Comment

Working...
                            X