valve timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve timing?

can someone help me out, ive been searching for a while on how to do it. i need to get my car finished, can somebody help me out and send me a link or something...

thanks
    sigpic

I highly suggest getting a bentley repair manual and getting a little better at searching.

If you are clueless, I don't really recommend doing the job.

Here you go. It took me 15 seconds. Searched the M20 forum for "valve adjustment" looked for someone with the same question as you, and found the answer.

Stop paying your mechanic to adjust your valves - it's really not that difficult. We'll show you how to on the 3-Series E30 six-cylinder engines.
    -tim
    Originally posted by Jordan
    I like the stance
    -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

thanks for the link and everything and suggesting that i get better at searching. but that is for a m20. i have a 318i.
      sigpic

Comment

OK. Definitely do not work on your car.

You have some learning to do before you put a wrench to your car.
        -tim
        I like the stance

Comment

sorry bro--" In this article we will discuss adjusting the valves for the E30 BMW. In this case we will be using my 325is. It also applies to the 325i, iX and iC (cabriolet) as well as the earlier 325, e, and es models. This article will also apply to BMW 5 Series models with the M20 2.7 and 2.5 engines. Keep in mind that this article does not apply to the E30 318i or the M3, (articles coming soon)."

i think that you should keep your opinions to yourself. you don't know much about my "experience". i have never had a BMW before, especially one with not one timing mark on the timing gears or any type of timing marks on this piece of ****, so this whole timing chain ordeal that I've been doing through has been a real pain to me. as the title states, i asked someone to share a link with me or some tips so i can simply do the valve timing. not criticize me. thank you.
          sigpic

Comment

Dude, Please learn how to post an accurate question, with specifics like
            "I'm having a problem timing my M20, please help" or some shit...
            Philo was trying to help you
            Please sell your car to someone who care and buy a honda
            [IMG]http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/

Comment

by posting this makes me not care about my car? interesting..
              sigpic

Comment

Ok. Let's try this again.

You're trying to figure out how to time your valves on your m42?

What problem is occurring to make you desire question one?

Edit: I only ask these because you are very vague in your original post. The only thing I can think to tell you is to line up the camshaft and crankshaft at TDC and install the chain. Not sure what you are asking.
                Last edited by Philo; 03-20-2010, 09:07 PM.
                -tim
                I like the stance

Comment

yes, well im trying to figure out how to do the valve timing because not to long ago, i was driving and my timing jumped a bunch of teeth. so many teeth that, i had to turn the distributor 180 degrees to get it to run. ( like shit). so anyway i ripped all of the timing covers off and i did the top dead center for the crank, (but because i was super frustrated) i slapped it all back together knowing that it will run like complete shit, if even at all. but i dont even want to try to start it because, i know when it skipped some teeth that the valve timing must be off aswell. so i figured insted of doing it half-assed, im just gonna take the upper timing chain over off, losen up the chain, take the chain off and re-time the valves.

sorry for all the tension before, i admit i was defiantly vague in the question.

btw, this is all for my 1984 318i, its the m10 engine. the single cam.

i am definatly a noob to bmw's, also this forum.
                  sigpic

Comment

First go buy a bentley. after you have bought one DL a copy , Here

Edit: fixed
                    Last edited by stumble_t; 03-25-2010, 05:22 PM.
                    [IMG]http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/

Comment

Originally posted by stumble_t View Post
                      First get a bentley. If you don't want to go and buy one, DL one Here
                      first go buy -spend money- a bentley manual. then you can feel better about DL one. ( the DL version is very cool ):)
                      My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

,,,man.... you guys kinda suck.

He was just askin a fuckin question. I know it gets to be a PITA with noobs and all but shit. No need to act like a buncha pricks.
                        sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

i just looked up a video on how to adjust valves.
                          referenced the bentley as to how much clearance i needed
                          bought a head cover gasket
                          went to town!

you need:
                          feeler gauges - the bent ones work the best
                          10mm(i believe) wrench
                          stiff wire or allen key to move the eccentrics

that's about it. If you pull the head cover it's pretty self explanatory if you know what parts you're looking at.

Put the car in 5th and push it to move the motor. or you can use the starter, or hand turn it. it's up to you. hand turning is more precise, but putting it in 5th and pushing it is brainless and isn't too difficult.

when you're putting the cover back on make sure to watch for stray wires and such. properly torque the cover in the correct order as well.

edit: wow, I'm a dumbass and I read the first reply thinking he was talking about valve adjustment. disregard this post... heh
                          '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                          NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                          Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

thanks guys! i appreciate it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X