Trouble with clutch master cylinder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with clutch master cylinder...

I'm trying to get my master cylinder off - I've already removed the line from the slave, since I'm replacing both. All fluid is out of the line. I've loosened the retaining nut for the hard line that connects to the bottom of the master right thru the firewall - but it doesn't seem to want to let go of the master cylinder, and the threads seem to be a little sideways from the rest of the master cylinder.

Any suggestions on how to get the hard line off the bottom of the master?

AND - HOW do I remove the line coming from the resovioir going into the master (from top). I cannot seem to get it out.

All bolts have been taken out, the master is held in there by the two lines currently.

Thanks in advance! :D

-Sean
    - Sean Hayes

I'm not positive, but I seem to remember the line from the reservoir just being pushed on. If it's old you might be better off cutting it off as close to the MC as possible so you have a fresh section of hose to push on to the new MC.

Comment

The hose should just be pushed on I believe. My dad and I ended up pulling the master cylinder out into the cabin when we changed it. It was way easier than pulling it through the bottom. And if you can... try and pull the MC into the cabin before undoing the hard line off the bottom. Its a REAL PITA to get to under the car. Just keep tuggin on it, its in there purdy hard.

Will
      RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
      Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
      DaveCN = Old Man
      My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
      If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangent
        I'm not positive, but I seem to remember the line from the reservoir just being pushed on. If it's old you might be better off cutting it off as close to the MC as possible so you have a fresh section of hose to push on to the new MC.
        Well, Damn.

Hmm...ok.

I'll see if I can get ahold of one. That's an idea. It seems to have this crap wrapped around it?

It should come off tho, right?

I ran a search on the part numbers, and it seems that the stuff that I thought was "wrap" is actually the hose going from the resovoir to the master cylinder. The plastic piece that connects to the master is covered by this hose.

Does this hose even have any mounting at all, or is it just help on by literally nothing?

I tried pulling the master thru, but it would only go so far. It's ok to pull on the line coming from the resovoir, right? I wasn't sure if pulling on that too hard may cause problems.

But, basically - how does that top hose connect - I know there's a plastic piece like this, ( http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/I302177280OES.JPG ) but I'm not sure how that works in relation to the clutch hose ( http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/I302085060.JPG ). Cause it seems the clutch hose is covering the whole plastic piece?

I'll order a plastic piece and clutch hose just to play it safe, should have them tomorrow. ;)
        - Sean Hayes

Comment

I remeber doing mine and it was not too much fun getting the lines all togther.

It took about two hours of nuckle scratching frustation.

I might have been easier to put in new lines and assemble it. Then put it in the car.

I dont know how much that stuff would cost. If it is 30 bucks or so it would be worth it

I might just suck at car repair but I had some trouble getting that all together. Brake lines lining up and tight spaces suck.

I did most of the reattactments from up above the engine compartment reaching under the clutch master cylinder.

good luck

bob

Comment

Working...
          X