Funny Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny Locks

I just picked up a 90 325is, love it so far, it has it's problems but it's tons of fun.

I really want to sort out a few things, some others I can ignore.

I have seen a bunch of posts on door locks but not this in particular although it's funny that posts on door locks seem to point to an almost completely random set of issues, me thinks I see chaos theory at work. :)

Anyhow, I can open my locks from the driver's side (coupe btw) but cant remove the key from the lock unless it's locked again. Hence I open the door with the key in and then lock and remove it while open. This leaves the passenger side locked which I can live with but I cannot open the passenger lock by hand. Also and mind you only when the ignition is on can I activate the passenger lock by tugging the (driver's) lock upwards.

I think this would all be solved if I could actually remove the key from the driver's side in an unlocked state at 90 degrees (key parallel to the b pillar), it stops at about 75 (turning left).

I squirted some lithium grease in there and it all works smoother but no resolution. My key is sticky now. hehe

Alrighty, I see great minds at work here, show me the money folks.

marcos
    ... Greased Monkey ...

Start with a rebuild kit for that drivers door lock cylinder.

When the lock is parallel to the ground, it is double locked.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

does your trunk lock work?

my coupe's lock cylinders (both doors) are seized, but my trunk one works just fine. With working central locking, I have no problem locking/unlocking my car
      BRUTE

Comment

Originally posted by imsotyerred View Post
        does your trunk lock work?

my coupe's lock cylinders (both doors) are seized, but my trunk one works just fine. With working central locking, I have no problem locking/unlocking my car
        Yeah, but that shouldn't be a permanent solution.

Grab a rebuild kit. They're like 40 bucks. Not being able to unlock the passenger's side door when you "double lock" the car from the driver's side is normal.

Comment

Whats wrong with just using the trunk central locking? I did that for years. Lots of people look at you really funny when you get out and go to your trunk to lock the car.

But alas everything is jacked up with my locks, so I suppose I'll be getting a rebuild kit as well...
          West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
          ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Best place for a kit?

Comment

I need one too, my trunk lock doesn't work with my key. If I want to open my trunk I have to open it from the driver's side. Also my passenger's side doesn't work with my key either. Basically if I want to open anything in my car, it's gotta be from the driver's side.
              -Darius (aka DiscoDoughnuts on other forums)

dude man bro...

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMishMoo View Post
                Whats wrong with just using the trunk central locking? I did that for years. Lots of people look at you really funny when you get out and go to your trunk to lock the car.
                So, was that rhetorical, or should I answer it?

Originally posted by bimmer206 View Post
                Best place for a kit?
                For the left side. I believe you need to transfer the pins from your old lock onto the new one. I shouldn't have to say it, but DON'T lose those pins or lose track of where you are. You will hate yourself.

Comment

Thanks Stereo, I ordered a new lock cylinder from BAS ($75.00) couldn't find any reference to a rebuild kit. Got the cylinder out in a few minutes.

I found that if you turn the little elbow (on the cylinder, inside the door) downwards (it points to the back of the car) towards the ground after you get it to clear the slot it sits in when attempting to remove the cylinder and then gently lever the lock downwards from the outside (easier with the key in the lock) it comes out readily. Actually the only way I think it comes out. This is not explained in the Bentley manual.

I put it back together in a giffy and wazoom, it all works fine now.

I'm not really worried about opening the locks from my passenger side as I'm already in a relationship and the chivalry is moot. lol

I don't think my trunk will activate the central locking system but it works fine otherwise. What might be up in there?

Now on to the intermittent cruise control.

btw. This car is FUCKING FUN. :)

thanks for the intelligent feedback

marcos
                  ... Greased Monkey ...

Comment

I have been locking my car from the passenger side ever since I got it, all the actuators work but the central locking wont work from the driver door. I lock from the passenger door and everything works as should. My lazy ass hasn't gotten around to trying to fix it.
                    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I HAD to fix this, it literally is the first thing I do when Im off to work in the morning. Not livin with a f-ed lock system.

btw, I love Cowboy Beebop!

marcos
                      ... Greased Monkey ...

Comment

two words: keyless entry.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                        i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                        Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

This thread really makes me want to fix my lock situation.

I am seriously sick of opening the passenger door to lock the driver's door from the inside so that the car is locked.
                          Me: "I can't wait to redline my car!"
                          Mark: "Didn't you just break a rocker arm?"
                          Me: "Yeah, I don't think I've learned my lesson."
                          Mark: "You never will."

Comment

Working...
                          X