1221 & 1222 code storytelling time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1221 & 1222 code storytelling time

So I started my M30 E30 Vert up last week for the first time since January. I'll admit it; I probably should have started it up intermittently from January until now, just to exercise it. But since I didn't, here we are.

So I went to take the car for a drive and I get a terrible sputtering when I try to accelerate, as if it has no power. When I let the car sit and idle, it idles terribly low as if it's going to stall. I turn the car off and then turn it back on immediately and it drives well for about 10 seconds until it starts sputtering again. My CEL goes on and I get the infamous 1222 code, which means that anything can be wrong with the car that causes any out-of-spec air/fuel ratio for an extended amount of time (I believe it's 10 seconds). I have an '89 735i engine, so it's motronic 1.3 and the stomp test and codes apply.

I unplug the battery and let the car sit. I've determined the following symptoms: It only happens when the car is warm, not cold. It's intermittent, which insinuates an impending failure of a part. It idles high when warm and sometimes bounces between 1300 and 1500rpm when, for example, I'm stopped at a light. Sometimes, when I'm coasting, the CEL comes on and will go away if I WOT or if I barely tap on the gas. I've seen many other members on here have that problem.

I checked for vacuum leaks, fuel delivery, electrical connections, proper spark, TPS, ICV, AFM, Temp Sensor, all checked as per the bentley manual.

So I'm at the point where i don't know exactly what it could be. I reset the CEL once again and re-started the car. After reading the codes again, I ended up getting exclusively 1221 code, which is O2 sensor. I think to myself, "Can the O2 sensor really cause an erratic, high idle. Can these symptoms be caused by the O2 sensor".

Well yes, it can. A faulty O2 sensor can and will send false signals to the ECU making it difficult to accurately assertain the proper air/fuel ratio to account for. In my case, I replaced the O2 sensor and I haven't gotten the engine code at all. The engine purrs like an M30 should and I'm getting the mileage I expect. It also idles at the prescribed 750rpm

Just a little story for those who get a 1222 code. Don't rule out an O2 sensor. M20 or M30, it's still Motronic.
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

I did all of that AND replaced the O2 and it still gives the same code. Jim Levie seems to think I may still have an intake leak even though the ol brake cleaner trick found nothing
    Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
    Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

I have this annoying problem...
      I also did the brake cleaner thing and checked out.
      I cleaned the ICV and it worked for like 10 min then back to the same bull.
      Sticky ICV maybe for me, idk.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I went to the Upullit JY and got an extra ICV, TPS, and AFM and threw it in there.

As a secondary solution, that's how I diagnosed that it wasn't any of those issues.
        Recent Rebranding!!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by E30_fiend View Post
          I did all of that AND replaced the O2 and it still gives the same code. Jim Levie seems to think I may still have an intake leak even though the ol brake cleaner trick found nothing
          I seriously wouldn't doubt it's an intake leak considering the intake boots always crack on old bmw's but FWIW I was getting an o2 sensor code on my old e30 and it completely went away after changing the main relay.
          Last edited by 884door; 04-21-2010, 12:05 AM.

Comment

I replaced my M30 intake boot last week; The one before it was only 3 years old. I know this because I purchased that one, too.

Terrible.
            Recent Rebranding!!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

has this problem been solved? im having very similar problems with my '89 325i and im wondering if the main relay issue applies to mine? and also the location?

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
              Originally posted by scabzzzz
              I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
              1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
              2002 325i - DD
              2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Working...
              X