Help With Fluid Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Fluid Leaks

Last edited by CJG; 06-19-2019, 09:06 PM.

A new e36 steering rack will give you a lower lock to lock turn ration (less turns from dead left to dead right). From what I've read here, the people that do the swap love it and i'm planning on swapping one in myself. When my power steering hoses were leaking i simply pressure washed around the hoses, pump, and reservoir. After a couple days i could see where it was leaking by the accumulation of dry fluid. Good luck

Comment

I was going to mention pressure wash then assess where your leaks are. Do that.

Leaking oil is common for M20 engines. Oil pan, valve cover, oil filter housing and other, front cam seal, crank seal and rear main are usual culprits.

Coolant leaks are common. Radiators are old and weak if original and hoses of course are maintainance items to be changed. Also, coolant leaks are common around the throttle body, something I find a PITA. You can delete these coolant lines, but I assume they actually serve a function, so as with the charcol canister, I leave them.

Steering rack leaking, to me, is a matter of drive it until if fails, then swap an e36 rack, tie rods and control arms/bushings all at the same time. Start saving up.

Hope this helps.
      sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Working...
      X