Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another temp gauge question

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my temp gauge which searching hasn't been able to solve.

The gauge sits down past the blue mark when power is off -- then goes to the "ready" position right over the blue mark when power is on. This is the issue, it stays there regardless of driving time or coolant temp.

All the other gauges work and the SI board is lipo with no visible corrosion. I've tightened the ground nut and cleaned the post on the gauge. I've removed the gauge and cleaned a small bit of corrosion off the solder on the circuit board. The sensor in the engine bay has been replaced with a brand new one.

It doesn't bounce at all when driving and doesn't move any when I tap the cluster or smack the dashboard.

Is it possible that the gauge itself may be faulty? The needle felt pretty loose and easy to rotate when I had it out.

1987 325e - 5 speed - Mods: 3.25 LSD, Mark D Chip, Bilstein HD's, Ansa Sport

Pull the connector to the temp sensor with the ignition on. The gage should indicate full cold. Next connect a wire from the plug to ground. The gage should indicate full hot.

I suspect that the first test will succeed, but the second will fail. In which case you'll need to verify continuity from the sensor plug to the cluster connector. If there is continuity, the odds are that the cause is a bad SI board. If no continuity Check the plug and C101.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
    X