Cluster should not make a difference according to the schematics in ETM. Try another cluster if it's 100% knowing working good cluster, as it would be the next easiest thing to do. Report back how the gauge works then.
I attached 325i cluster circuit and late model 318i to compare.
Fuel level reading not correct, what's up?
Collapse
X
-
I got the cluster from Matt (MR 325) and he said he's positive it came out of a M42 car. I took it apart to check the PN on the gauge and it's the same part # realoem calls for.At the back of the cluster... 325 cars have it but the m42 cars do not. Do you know FOR SURE where the cluster came from, it's never been tampered with, correct fuel gauge? I have a late model 325i and 318i clusters in the garage I can get the part numbers from for you if you want. The circuit for the fuel gauge is REALLY simple, you can look in th ETM for yourself. The gauge is connected directly to the sender(s).
I'm just wondering if the actual circuit on the cluster itself is differnet between early and late models. That's why I was wondering about a cluster part # to see what year the test cluster I bought is from to make sure.
I know the circuit is VERY simple, that's what has me stumped. I've changed everything in the system, only thing that is used is cluster, which is why I'm second guessing it. There's also a guy at work that has a 89 M42 cluster that he said I could try out, I may do that too.
Something makes me keep going back to the cluster, I swear it has something to do with it.Leave a comment:
-
At the back of the cluster... 325 cars have it but the m42 cars do not. Do you know FOR SURE where the cluster came from, it's never been tampered with, correct fuel gauge? I have a late model 325i and 318i clusters in the garage I can get the part numbers from for you if you want. The circuit for the fuel gauge is REALLY simple, you can look in th ETM for yourself. The gauge is connected directly to the sender(s).Leave a comment:
-
Hmm, but I wonder about early clusters in late cars?I've done the following and can tell you this much:
late model cluster in early car = fuel gauge will read HIGH, fuel low light will read correctly.
late model cluster in early car with early fuel gauge = fuel gauge will read correctly and fuel low level light will read correctly as well.
318i(s) clusters do not have the green plug at the back of the speedo/odo.
What's this green plug? Do I need to take the cluster apart and look or are we talking about the plugs on the back of the cluster itself?
I have a buddy with a 318is that I may see if he'll let me try his cluster and see what happens.Leave a comment:
-
I've done the following and can tell you this much:
late model cluster in early car = fuel gauge will read HIGH, fuel low light will read correctly.
late model cluster in early car with early fuel gauge = fuel gauge will read correctly and fuel low level light will read correctly as well.
318i(s) clusters do not have the green plug at the back of the speedo/odo.Leave a comment:
-
I wanna clarify something if anyone can help me out.
If you swap a late model fuel gauge in a early model cluster, will the gauge still read wrong? Or is it if you swap a early fuel gauge in a late model cluster, it will read wrong?
I'm wondering if my problem is my actual cluster and not just the fuel gauge. Although I got another cluster out of apparently another 318is but I can't confirm it.
I feel like I've honestly looked a every component in the system that would cause this and nothing has fixed it.Leave a comment:
-
-
bringing this back up.
So I got another known good cluster out of a 318is, swapped it in with my code plug and the gauge is still reading the exact same as the other one.
I'm COMPLETELY out of options now, I don't know what else to try out.
Is there any way it could be the coding plug or does that have anything to do with the fuel indication at all?Leave a comment:
-
-
I think the right gage is in the cluster (the part number matches what realoem.com shows). Therefore it must be some difference in the cluster.Leave a comment:
-
I'm not 100% that it's the sender though. The problem wasn't there until he changed the cluster out, since that, he's had this problem. The sender was the first thing I changed.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: