Ok help! Engine trouble!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok help! Engine trouble!

Hey guys, this car has literally got me by the balls now.

Coming home after school today, I start noticing some weird lack of power in the car.... I would push it but it just wouldn't go as it used to.....

After a couple of stops ( pick up my friend at his school, wendy's, my house, mall ) the car gets worse and worse..... it came to the point where if I stop the car in neutral the engine will just die on me..... and if it by any miracle it stays on, i'll be at 400rpms, begging to shut off.

I know for a fact my ICV was somewhat messed up.... but nowhere near this extent.... it would rev from 600-900 sometimes but THAT'S IT. ( at rest )

now I try to put my car on the garage ramp.... and I had to push the pedal 1/2 way so it could struggle it's way at 1mph to the parking ramp in my house. The car struggles so hard to get out of first now.

also, the check engine light is coming up sometimes..... it only happens sometimes when it's in neutral or I'm accelerating from 0 on 1st gear.

another thing that I would hate to say it ( and hate to notice it.... because it kind of discard the possibility of it only being the ICV ), is that I'm hearing some weird noise coming from the intake/engine. I have no clue what it is, but it is some sort of rattle...... my father said it sounded like grinding of somesort.

all the fluids in the car are fine. I double check this weekly and last time was yesterday.

I am so lost and worried.... I just got out of the chassis shop with a $300 bill. I'm really not ready for another couple of hundred.

Try to help me out diagnosing this.

Erick
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Sounds like you might have some sort of engine mechanical problem.
    I would check basics like compression, fuel pressure, leakdown, and go from there.

Hows your ignition system look? check the wires, cap and rotor.

Can you rev the engine up while in neutral? is there any smoke out of the exhaust? what color, smell?

Comment

Your description is all over the place, check all of your ignition components, and then pull off the valve cover, it almost sounds to me like a rocker arm.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
        Your description is all over the place, check all of your ignition components, and then pull off the valve cover, it almost sounds to me like a rocker arm.

-Charlie
        Yeah, first guess: Ignition.

Second, but most common: Cracked intake boot (between AFM and throttle body). It's a $20-25 part, worth checking out. Have a shop spray carb cleaner on it to check for leaks.

Third, I agree with Charlies possibility. Broken rocker arms suck, I know.

Comment

Plugged exhaust due to melted converter? Pull the downpipe below the manifold and see if this don't help. I have worked on cars that wont go past 10mph. uncork the manifold and bam she runs great, straight to the exhuast shop.

Comment

I'm sorry for not being clear....

I however checked the Bentley for some troubleshooting tips. On the Engine Management section I read something that really matched my case and scared me.....

"During acceleration, the fuel mixture needs to be quickly enriched and the ignition timing needs to be adapted to prevent detonation and engine damage."

So my closest damage is the my ICV took a shit on me and I drove the car too long before I noticed it...... and now I have to deal with engine damage.

My car gets worse everytime I crank it..... the ICV is known to be faulty...... I dunno.... I hate to think about it but I really feel like I messed up the engine good on this one I have to take it to a mechanic for a better diagnosis.

And this has to happen not even a week after I take my car out of the shop with a $300 bill with suspension work. I cant get a job ( long story, dont ask ) and the emergency money I always ha saved up has been used in half.

I feel like shit......

I can only hope I am taking the wrong conclusions and it isnt this bad.
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

Feedback Thread

Comment

Don't panic Erick. Its better to be realistic and expect the worst sometimes. I'd say to check your afm bellow as has been mentioned.

You have said your ICV is faulty, check the hose to it too and make sure there is no vacuum leak.

How good is your O2 sensor? Is it plugged in? Does disconnecting it make the car run worse?

If you are getting a check engine light. Try the gas pedal trick to pull the codes ;)

Check your battery terminals in the trunk, make sure all of them are tight.

Try check your throttle position sensor. Does it click as soon as you move the throttle lever on the TB?

Check your ignition wires. Make sure everything is nice and tight.

Explain the situation to your dad, test his ICV and see if it fixes the problem ;)

HTH

Comment

Yeah thanks for the help..... I am just pissed off in not even 3 months of owning this car I have had to put up with so much crap ( some of it my fault I'll admit it ) but it's just painful to me and mostly my wallet as well. Taking care of an e30 is turning out to be something I cannot afford.

But I'll obviously try to sort this out and get through another obstacle in the way.... and any help I can get from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Broken rocker arm 95% sure

Comment

someone care to enlighten ( or just finish off my day ) on what exatcly are rocker arms, what do they do, and how much would I be looking to waste in parts and labor?

At this point from what I'm assuming, I figure even looking for a better condition M20 and dropping it in would be cheaper than these rocker arms.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift
                      someone care to enlighten ( or just finish off my day ) on what exatcly are rocker arms, what do they do, and how much would I be looking to waste in parts and labor?

At this point from what I'm assuming, I figure even looking for a better condition M20 and dropping it in would be cheaper than these rocker arms.
                      Shot from the hip but I'd guess around $700-$800 to fix the rocker arm. Rocker arms are in the valvetrain and the actuate the valve, using the profile of the camshaft. Not that big of a deal, E30's break rocker arms all the time.
                      -Ted

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift

Cylinder head has to come off.

No fun. :curse:

Comment

Of course, the rocker arm itself is not expensive,
                          so if that is the problem, the more work you do yourself
                          will greatly save you money.

If his rocker arm is broken, is it enough to swap a fresh one
                          in, or will it have done damage to other parts aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by arnib
                            or will it have done damage to other parts aswell?
                            My question exatcly.

I've been thinking if it would be worth looking for a newer M20.... since I have no idea what is the mileage of mine ( I would be guessing about 180,000 miles or so.... the p.o. bought the car in '99 w/ the odometer already broken at 121,111 )

How hard is it really to change the rocker arm once the engine has been pulled out? I cant do the work myself but I might be able to find some help. That is a long shot though and I'll most likely have to turn it in to a shop.

Feedback Thread

Comment

If the rocker arm is the problem, then you don't have to pull the whole engine.
                              You can just pull the cylinder head, have it sent to a machine shop, or do it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X