Sputtering when turning right / cold start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sputtering when turning right / cold start

This has just become SUPER URGENT. i tried some other things to see how it reacted. i started the car, let it idle a bit, then, while leaving it in park, I turned the wheel right. It sputtered and stalled out. i straightened out the wheel and started it. it started but stalled out instantly. now it wont idle. I have work in 4 hours....

Hey just to give you some info, my E30 is a 1987 (10/86 build date) 325is. Automatic

Heres my problem, im just wondering what it might be. I have limited experience with cars, but if i know the problem, i could surely figure out how to fix it i hope.

the car usually starts with no problem. i can put it in drive with no problem. its when i hit the accelerator and it switches gear that it sputters and it feels like its not getting enough fuel. then it will sort of even out, until it changes gear again. It will then do the same thing. This happens for abut a minute or so. then once the car warms up, its fine.

Another very similar problem is when turning right. (its fine turning left) It does almost the same thing, but it happens when the car is warm or cold. It will sputter and kick. i can go super slow around a corner but if i give it gas, it will usually sputter. sometimes it will happen bad and the check engine light will turn on, and it wont accelerate. i can then turn the car completely off, and give it a sec, then restart and the check engine light will go out and its fine....
    - ive read this could be b/c the gas tank is getting empty, but it happens when its full too. ive also read this is the fuel pump.. could that be it?

so please help, if you need anymore info, ill try and answer best i can.

thanks
    Last edited by Dermeister3; 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM.

The first thing to do is to have the fault code(s) read out of the DME. This car should have a 153 DME, which doesn't support the stomp test, so a shop will have to read out the codes. This sounds to me more like an electrical problem than a fuel problem. But you could have fuel system problems too. Running the suite of fuel system tests in the Bentley manual will tell.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks for the reply. ill see if i can get someone to look at it.

Latest update, just tried to start it to see what would happen after letting it sit.

got a VERY strong fuel smell, and it wouldnt start. :(

Comment

Do you see a fuel leak?
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

^ i looked after i smelt fuel. i didnt see one (i checked the injector rail, the fuel filter, and just checked under the whole car on the concrete.

A bit of an update: just tried again, once i pushed the car into the shade. it started, but it just wont idle. i can hold the accelerator just enough to keep it running, but once im completely off the pedal, it will cut out.

Comment

Working...
          X