Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car will not run after top end rebuild (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car will not run after top end rebuild (long)

I had the head off my 325is due to a broken rocker, had the ehad machined, all rockers replaced, ireland cam, etc. Reasembled everything, the car started and ran rough. Found a big vaccuum leak, fixed that and it ran a little better. Found a loose spark plug, fixed that and it ran better but still didnt want to idle well (seemed to rev ok). While it was (barely) idleing it sputtered down and died. Now it will no start at all. I went back and double checked all of the electrical connections, I took th eupper cam cover off and double checked cam timing, I cant find any vacuum leaks. I Pulled a plug wire and grounded a spare plug to the valve cover, it has spark. Pulled a fuel line and turned the engine over, the rail is getting fuel. I changed the injectors to another set of used ones that I bought off of this board that are suposed to be good before putting everything back together so I have not tried it with the old injectors yet. I did swap the fuel pressure regulator to test that. I cant fugure out why the car started and ran (not well, but ran) and 5 mins later it will not run at all. Any suggestions? Thanks
    88 325is "track whore"
    99 540ia
    74 2002
    86 944 turbo

It sounds like you have most of the bases covered.

Could it be flooded?

The only other thing I can think off is the state of your current spark plugs. )Are they fouled?
    (Yes I know you tested one but it may not be a big enough spark, a lot of fuel + weak spark...)

Maybe try and spray some quick start in the TB to see if it'll catch. If so, then it's probably fuel delivery.

~andre~
    www.bourandataservices.com

Comment

Be super double certain cam timing is ok. Check the simple stuff, did you put the wires back on in the right order, is the MAF plugged in, does the car have gas in the tank. Try taking one of the injectors out, sticking it in a bottle and turning it over to check that they are spraying. If you hit a wall, get a second set of eyes on it, invite a friend over to help.

Comment

Set the valve lash? Check compression? Firing order?

Comment

Working...
        X