Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at e30 w/o spark - test?

I'm going to look at an 86es that is claimed to have no spark:

I talked to the owner who thinks it's either the computer, ignition module, or CPS. Is there any relatively quick way for me to check with hand tools/multimeter when I go look at it? Or am I going to have to ask to dismantle his car to find out? I have an M42 so I'm unsure of myself here. Any advice? Thanks...

I would suspect the main relay first.
    The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Originally posted by vte30 View Post
      I'm going to look at an 86es that is claimed to have no spark...
      It is good procedure to start testing with the simplist tests and the cheapest components. After checking for power at the main relay as suggested by wodcutr, try pulling a spark plug, reconnecting the spark plug wire to it, grounding the threads of the plug to ground on the engine, and having someone spin the engine over (good idea to wear a good thick glove while doing this). If you see a nice fat spark jumping to the plug electrode, the vehicle is getting spark. If you see a very weak or erratic spark, the car probably has a bad coil (about a $50 part). If there is no spark, then check that the wire from the distributor to the coil is good (check continuity with your multi-meter). If that is good, pop the cap on the distributor and make sure the rotor is there and not broken.

If still no spark, then it could be the ECU, or the crank position sensor, or something else harder to find.

If you are getting spark but the engine doesn't fire, the problem may be a fuel supply problem or ???

Good luck....
      ---
      '89 330is ;)

Comment

Working...
      X