Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318i any tips to get better fuel economy

hey hows it going im from aus and i have a 318i 1990 model
    its auto and well the prob is it uses to much fuel i m thinking down the track if i keep the car i might see bout putting a M50 in but for the time being im just thinking what i could do to get better economy
    changing the chip or something i dotn know and suggestions will be appreciated
    laterz

there must be somthing wrong with your car becasue i drive like a bat out of hell and get about 300 miles on 12 gallons

Comment

Yea, a 318i should be doing pretty good on fuel compared to 6 cyl e30s. I would do a complete tune-up. Air filter, plugs, wires, fuel injector cleaner, etc. Might help restore some milage.

How bad is it? I get around 28 with mixed driving in my eta.
      Old and improved:

Comment

THre is this little silver thing that a tube goes to that goes from the fuel rail to the throttle body i think. The engine will run rich if its disconnected....i think. Just for shits and giggles i might drive like a grandma next time i fill my tank so i can see how far i can go

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport
          Yea, a 318i should be doing pretty good on fuel compared to 6 cyl e30s. I would do a complete tune-up. Air filter, plugs, wires, fuel injector cleaner, etc. Might help restore some milage.

you run mixed gas in the eta? thats interesting how come?

also the thing with the tube to it is probably your fuel presure regulator and your car wont run if its not connected..

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport

you run mixed gas in the eta? thats interesting how come?

also the thing with the tube to it is probably your fuel presure regulator and your car wont run if its not connected..

Comment

mixed driving.. most times im easy on my throttle, but every now and then i like to plant the gas and have some fun in the corners and onramps.
              Old and improved:

Comment

yeh i get basically what you get 300miles to 12 gallons although i converted it to our unit of measurement and that is not a very good milage per litre

Comment

thats pretty damn good for a 15 year old car. thats like 25 mpg

Comment

Re: 318i any tips to get better fuel economy

Originally posted by -REINBOTT-
                    hey hows it going im from aus and i have a 318i 1990 model
                    its auto and well the prob is it uses to much fuel i m thinking down the track if i keep the car i might see bout putting a M50 in but for the time being im just thinking what i could do to get better economy
                    changing the chip or something i dotn know and suggestions will be appreciated
                    laterz
                    The 1990 318i is a M40 right?

Anyways, I have a 318is (m42), and I do almost all city driving. I average about 500km (or little under, all depends) before the gas light comes on.

I never caught on to the whole MPG thing. It's metric in Canada too.
                    ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Originally posted by nickmp0wer
                      thats pretty damn good for a 15 year old car. thats like 25 mpg
                      i read through the log and even the first owners commented on the poor fuel economy so i wouldnt say it is from the age of the car although that may be a factor now however the owners earlier felt the same

Comment

Working...
                      X