Red gauge needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red gauge needles

I have my cluster out (partially) because I had to fix the 'Check Engine' light not coming on. Turns out one of the ground wire wasn't plugged in.

Anyways, I thought that I would paint my gauge needles. I know lots of you have done this.
    There was a thread about the best method, but I can't seem to find that thread.

So, should I:
    - Spray paint? (If so, what kind of paint, color did you use?)
    - Brush on? (same q. again)

And lastly, any tips for taking those needles off safely? I know that they just pull off, but they are fragile, so I dont want to put a bend/crack in it.

TIA!

EDIT: I want a satin look, not a shiny/gloss red. Spray painting seems like a way to go, because i want a nice smooth surface.

I just wanna get it right the first time 8)

EDIT2: Also, I find the cluster to be pretty dim at night. Anyone find a solution to make it any brighter? (Yes I know about the knob control). Bulb replacement perhaps?
    ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

The standard wattage bulb already melts the plastic diffusers in the cluster. A higher wattage bulb would be a really bad idea.

I recent went with red needles to match my VDO gauges.

I used red vinyl pinstriping, applied extra wide, then cut to exact size on the needle with a brand new xacto blade.

This method works brilliantly, looks fucking awesome, and is perfectly removable later on if you should choose.

It might take you a few tries to get the cuts perfect. If you mess them up just peel it off and try again.. you get like 50+ft of tries with most pinstripe rolls.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
      The standard wattage bulb already melts the plastic diffusers in the cluster. A higher wattage bulb would be a really bad idea.

I recent went with red needles to match my VDO gauges.

I used red vinyl pinstriping, applied extra wide, then cut to exact size on the needle with a brand new xacto blade.

This method works brilliantly, looks fucking awesome, and is perfectly removable later on if you should choose.

It might take you a few tries to get the cuts perfect. If you mess them up just peel it off and try again.. you get like 50+ft of tries with most pinstripe rolls.
      wow, good idea. Never thought of that one.

Thanks for the advice on the bulbs too.

Did you snap any pictures of your new gauge?
      ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

it's hard to find good tape that is not glossy.

For those that painted theirs, what paint/paint method did you use?
        ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

I did my needles recently, and the dials aswell!

Comment

Pretty good idea, Jordan. I used Testors model paint and it came out pretty good. Incidently, I tried my red touch-up paint first, thinking it would match the car. It looked terrible! Seemed like the paint was too think, glossy, lumpy, something.

I agree with the cluster bulb thought. My old e30 had dim lights and I tried 2W-higher bulbs. They looked GREAT but started to melt the orange stuff right away. Bad idea!

Comment

Working...
            X