High pitched whine coming from speakers on ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High pitched whine coming from speakers on ignition

I was going to put this in the audio forum but It didn't really seem to fit under any of the subtitled sub-forums.

So here it is.

The last couple of days when i start up my car in the morning, I get this high-pitched intervul'd whine (meaning its not constant, it tends to go up and down in pitch and volume with the turning of the ignition) coming from my speakers when i turn the key to start the engine. The weird thing is, its only when I initially start the car up. IF i turn off the car, and start it up again, it doesn't do it.

If i don't drive it all day, and start it up later that night to go somewhere, it STILL doesn't do it again

It just seems like a 'overnight-nextday startup' symptom.

I have a kill-switch hooked up to my amp which powers my speakers so i can disable the power to them at will. I was thinking of doing that and then starting the car in the morning and seeing if that helps, but i have no idea if it would actually DO anything, because i wouldn't be able to hear anything coming through anyway.

The only notable things that has happened in the past couple of days is my front left speaker went from partially blown out to even more blown out (rattle comes from the speaker when i play music through it)

So.. any ideas?
    Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
    Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

What kind of speaks?

I'd consider upgrading, especially if one speaker is doing it more then another.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by eightyfoure
      What kind of speaks?

I'd consider upgrading, especially if one speaker is doing it more then another.
      No no.. the whine comes out of both speakers.. this is not a speaker problem this is an engine/electrical problem of some sorts. The rattle comes out of one speakers because that speaker is blown.

The speakers are just some MB Quartz that the previous owner had in there. They are being replaced soon i just haven't decided what.

Comment

Oh, my bad.

Hm. I'm not sure what to say. Except hope it goes away when you get new speaks... :|

MB Quart blew? That sorta sucks, good thing you didn't pay for them.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Check all of your stereo/amp's grounding points...Sounds like you've got a flaky ground letting you hear the alternator whine...Just my .02.

Comment

If I had to guess, (which is my only choice from here) I would think the head unit or amplifier has a bad capacitor that is draining itself overnight. The initial startup provides current, but not properly filtered.
            Swap your amp for a buddies, see if any changes happen.

Good luck,
            Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
              If I had to guess, (which is my only choice from here) I would think the head unit or amplifier has a bad capacitor that is draining itself overnight. The initial startup provides current, but not properly filtered.

Good luck,
              Luke
              don't have any freinds with amps :( bummer..

well maybe crivellone would be up to the challenge. hm.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen
                Originally posted by StereoInstaller1

Good luck,
                Luke
                don't have any freinds with amps :( bummer..

well maybe crivellone would be up to the challenge. hm.
                James is in Germany, so that might be a while. I would check where you have things grounded. I'm with EverWiser on this one.
                sigpic

Comment

It's a grounding problem - plain and simple. Also, if you have RCA cables make sure that they are properly shielded and away from any power wires.

Here is the test - if you disconnect the RCA cables and the sound is still there.. the problem is with the amp wiring. If however the sound dissapears, the problem is either with the cables themselves or the HU.

A solid ground is key.

Comment

Originally posted by turboe30
                    It's a grounding problem - plain and simple. Also, if you have RCA cables make sure that they are properly shielded and away from any power wires.

Here is the test - if you disconnect the RCA cables and the sound is still there.. the problem is with the amp wiring. If however the sound dissapears, the problem is either with the cables themselves or the HU.

A solid ground is key.
                    How would a solid ground suddenly dissappear htough?

I haven't had any problems in the past 8 months or so.

Do you mean disconnect the RCA cables from the head unit?

Comment

Stranger things happen..... but solid grounds can mysteriously loosen. Its already been touched on in this thread about the RCA's..... but also the power wire can pick up "engine noise". Check it by using a piece of wire and just running it directly from your battery (or someone elses) to your amp without running it through the car. Had this problem with Lexus' alot. Good luck.

Comment

Ah, my mums car used to do this aswell. but it kinda didnt go away. and got louder with more throttle. I never could figure out what it was.

Comment

Didn't do it all today.. I guess its subsided.

Comment

Working...
                          X