Door lock questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door lock questions.

My driver's side door lock will not lock with the key, I try to turn it but it feels like its stuck on something, I can unlock it with the key though. It won't lock from the trunk, but the passenger side works. It will lock when the door is shut and I push on the knob, the knob won't push down if the door is open. So in order to lock the car, I have to go from the passenger side to lock it. Does this mean I need a new lock cylinder?

I have the exact same problem, but my drivers door wont unlock, and the trunk doesnt do shit for the door locks. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this it would be much appreciated.

Comment

youve got an electrical failure in the door somewhere. Either in the actuator or in the big connector at the hinge. spray it out with electrical cleaner and check your connections.

Comment

Sounds like a mechanical failure if it won't lock with the key with the door shut. The drivers door should not lock by pressing the knob down if the door is open. I don't have much experience with the mechanical function of the locks, but even if there is a problem with the actuators you can still physically lock the door with the key. You may have a bad cylinder since you can still unlock it. Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience/knowledge about the lock itself.

Comment

i have the same problem. installed keyless entry and problem solved (to the extent I dont unlock my car manually anymore)

Comment

There's also an inexpensive ($30?) cylinder rebuilding kit available.
            To oversimplify it, remove the bad cylinder, insert the various tumblers that come in the kit, insert your existing key, file off the tabs, test, reinstall new cylinder, win!

Comment

Took off the door panel and looked to see if i had any bent rods or anything. It turns out that i am missing the L shaped piece on the end of the door lock. So it wont move the lock actuator or lock the door.

Comment

Working...
              X